PDA

View Full Version : Exchange Server

massimomm
10th May 2006, 02:10 PM
Hi
In my Network my mail server is Exchange 5.5 installed on WinNT 4.0 server
I'm thinking to change Exchange with a software for mail under Gnu/Linux,
So I ask you: which is a software mail like o [better] :p Exchange under Fedora-core ?
Many thanks for your support
Massimo

pparks1
10th May 2006, 03:39 PM
Yeah, getting away from Exchange 5.5 is advantageous since Exchange 5.5 is no longer supported by MS.

With that said, my company is also in the process of moving from Exchange 5.5, but we are moving to Exchange 2003.

I would be interested in knowing as well if there was anything "very similiar" to Exchange functionality under Linux that people are using and are happy with. I'm looking for personal reasons, rather than for work. The things that i want are (messages stored directly on the server that I access with a mail client, calendaring collaboration, ability to retrieve email through a web interface, etc). So far my search has turned up with nothing, except for the commercial apps like Exchange, Lotus Notes, etc.

As massimomm and I have requested, what else is out there which works like Exchange for Linux?

Jman
11th May 2006, 05:55 AM
I've heard good things about but have not tried Hula (http://www.hula-project.org/)

ccrvic
11th May 2006, 08:13 AM
hich is a software mail like o [better] :p Exchange under Fedora-core ?

If you're after a mail server, pretty much anything is better than Exchange. I favour sendmail, largely because I know it well, but others will propose postfix. Both are very good.

However, if you're using Exchange as a groupware server, things get a little more complex. There are a variety of solutions emerging, but AFAIK there isn't yet a drop-in replacement for Exchange.

Vic.

SharedMedia
12th May 2006, 06:42 PM
Open-exchange is nice

pparks1
12th May 2006, 08:28 PM
Yes, we realize for basic mail that Exchange is not necessary...sendmail, postfix and exim work wonderfully.

Most of us are using Exchange as a groupware server and are always looking for alternatives.

SharedMedia, thanks for the suggestion....I'll have a look.

massimomm
15th May 2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks you all for answer !
I ask you if open-exchange allow to store messages directly on the server ?
Thanks

jim
15th May 2006, 10:47 AM
Open-exchange
Still charges

Open-Xchange Server 5, Advanced Server Edition
Red Hat Bundle One-year subscription to the Maintenance Portal (including licenses for Open-Xchange Server, Outlook and Palm OXtenders) for 25 Named Users. Installation support - One-year subscription for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 ES for x86 (one system) - Basic Edition and Red Hat Application Server 1,495.00

additional 32.50 per user to add
Do the math Just as expensive as MS Exchange Server.

massimomm
15th May 2006, 11:42 AM
I'd like to install on my Fedora Core 4
Does it work on this ?