PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Play Mpg/AVI using totem File

klgsx
10th May 2006, 04:45 AM
Hello all,

I have a huge library of mpg/avi and various movies/music format.

after installing fedora frog and following some of the online tutorial to enable the "proper" decoder i am now encounting the following errors.

1) I am capable of playing movies using xine media player but NOT totem eventhough it is installed in my laptop.

whenever i click in a mpg file i get the follwoing error:

Totem could not play 'file:///root/mymovie.mpg'.
You do not have a decoder installed to handle this file. You might need to install the necessary plugins.

weird huh? since i could play same mpg with xine media player. any suggestions? I know for a fact that i downloaded and installed all the decoders to 'usr/local/lib/win32' and 'usr/lcal/lib/codecs'

2) I have an external buffalo hard drive (buffalo) wich i am capable to access tru places-->Network Server (all my media are there). I have to copy the movies to my local hard drive in order to be able to play the movies/avi.

I have VideoLan Client install, call me moron! but i dont think thatthis have anything to do with the fact i cant play the files that are located in my external drive, nevertheless HELP!

Any help is welcome

Thanks.

Seve
10th May 2006, 05:09 AM
Hello:
This may help : http://www.fedorafaq.org/#dvd
Seve

Skunk Worx
10th May 2006, 05:12 AM
If you search the fedora faq or google for a few minutes you'll find that this is a common issue.

All the software patents and legal issues have forced the developers to remove the codec paths from the default media apps, since people working for free can't really afford multi million dollar lawsuits.

There are replacements from non-US repos that will probably do what you want...take a look through the Fedora FAQ.