PDA

View Full Version : Sound a little distorted?

ELD
9th May 2006, 07:59 PM
Is it me or is the sound quality for music a bit poor?

I am listning to Luke Pickett - Empty Corridors and when his voice gets a bit louder when his voice goes higher it gets a bit distorted??

Same happens for any of my music??

u-noneinc-s
9th May 2006, 08:31 PM
I had good sound for a while with FC3, and after some updates (don't know specifically that that is what the problem was)
sound became distorted with master set to fullI could turn down pcm a bunch and full master was no longer distorted, but I
could leave PCM full and turn down master just a little and sound was no longer distorted.
Seems to be some overdrive.
BTW, it has carried through to FC5. Happens on all sound SWF, WVM, WAV, MP3, games (I guess WAV). Gotta have master down just a little.
Now, I'm not playing through quality speakers, but I noticed the same thing on a friends system connected to his home
theatre with FC4, (and I remember his sounding good at one time).

ELD
9th May 2006, 10:16 PM
Well my speakers may be old but on my mp3 and windows and ubuntu it seemed fine to me!

How do i turn down master volume then, which one is it?

u-noneinc-s
10th May 2006, 01:03 AM
I got good sound with Windoze too as well as Mandrake 9.x and 10Had descent sound with FC3. I remember
now, after a re-install, the sound was crappy but I don't know what the difference was unless it was updates
right after.

If you are using gnome, I can only assume there is a volume control on the panel. That should be master. The
controls on the individual players "should" be PCM.

I am using KDE. I had to put a volume control on my panel (kmix for me)

I used to use gnome-sound-recorder, but, in their infinite wisdom, they seem to have dropped it (I thought it was
a particularly good program and one of the few gnome apps I used regularly). Anyway, it had a mixer setting, but
since the sound-recorder is gone, and I can't remember the name of the mixer, I have no clue to give you.

ELD
15th May 2006, 12:47 PM
Well for me Ubuntu, SUSE and FC4 all have decent sound, what happend to the sound stuff in FC5??