PDA

View Full Version : NTFS, options

stuuu
9th May 2006, 07:30 PM
Hi guys. I'm new to Fedora Core, but not so new to Linux. I'm wanting people's opinions on this...
I currently have all my 'stuff' on an 80GB NTFS partition; it used to be on a reiserfs network share so that my Windows machines could access it. But at the moment I have the drive in a machine with both Windows 2000 and Fedora Core 5. I'd like to be able to both read and write to the volume with Windows and Linux.
I didn't realise until recently that Linux-NTFS doesn't completely support writing to NTFS. So what are my options? I've considered converting the partition to FAT32 but I've heard that FAT32 doesn't handle larger partitions too well. I could handle it the other way - convert the partition to ext3 and find an ext3 driver for Windows?
What do you lot think? How have you worked around this?

Cheers,
stu.

:)

agrippas
9th May 2006, 07:44 PM
According to Microsoft, if the FAT32 partition is over 32 gigabytes it won't get mounted. If on the other hand you decide to turn it to ext3, you will want to have a look at this piece of software:

http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

If I were you, I'd split the NTFS partition to 3 or 4 smaller FAT32 partitions and have my work done neatly without messing with drivers and stuff.

Seve
9th May 2006, 08:30 PM
Hello:
Perhaps Win2K is different with respect to the FAT32 limits than XP, so I can only speak from my own experience. I have a 200GB drive Split 50/50 NTFS and FAT32. The 100 GB FAT32 is mounted in both 32 and 64 bit FC5 and is used to read/write and share data between FC and WinXP.
Has worked very well with both FC4 and FC5.
Seve

scotta3234
9th May 2006, 08:42 PM
I recently had to go through this (Seve actually helped me explore my options). Depending on how much space you really need I would suggest formating to Fat32, it's simply the easiest. Now windows wont format above 32 gigs unless you get some third party software. My solution was to format 32 gigs of Fat32 (since i wouldnt be needed more than this to share files between the two) and then format the rest to ext3 (which you can also have windows read by downloading some software). But Fat32 is definitely the easiest way to go to share files between windows and linux since it's Plug and play.

stuuu
10th May 2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the responses. Which ever way I do it, it looks like I'll be temporarily shifting a huge amount of data off of that drive; unless I trust Partition Magic to convert it without breaking things. :)

drunkahol
10th May 2006, 03:06 PM
You don't need to trust Partition Magic to do it, the last time I shrunk a drive to create space for a Linux install, I was forced to do it by hand. This involved using a liveCD to boot up and then issue the right commands to shrink the filesystem and then the partition.

Involved a LOT of nerves and several gulps of air before I actually pressed the Enter key for each command, but everything turned out OK.

Look at the newer LiveCD installations (Ubuntu etc). They have installers that will shrink your current partitions for you if possible to make way for a new Linux partition.

Cheers

Duncan