PDA

View Full Version : Firestarter event hits

JoeyJoJoe
9th May 2006, 12:39 PM
I've been getting a LOT of events showing up on firestarter, I re-installed fedora 2 days ago so that is when this firestarters records started and there have been over 1006 (and counting)... when I look up host names a lot of them (about half) seem to be coming from either me or my building (I live in an appartment block so I have to use their system). Most of these have no port or service attached to them, on protocol IGMP. The others have come from 5353 on service "Mdns" (protocol UDP)... Is this all because I said i didn't use DHCP (I don't know if it do or not)? although my internet connection does seem to work ok...

I would be greatful for any advice on this, the little red logo is a bit annoying and last time I never had any showing up... Thanks.

Jman
10th May 2006, 12:22 AM
DHCP automatically configures an IP address and other useful information so you can connect. It does not specify anything after the connection has been established.

Those sound like protocols which send out broadcast messages. I don't think they are much to be concerned about.