View Full Version : --gecos command

bae
9th May 2006, 09:41 AM
--gecos <-- what is it for, i'm trying installing pykota.. :

Create a system user for PyKota :

$ adduser --system --group --home /etc/pykota --gecos PyKota pykota

Put the user your printing system is run as in the pykota system group :

$ adduser lp pykota <-- this can be set using interface

i am also trying to insert it using gui but it ask for the password but from the above i cannot diferentiate which one is password, is the PyKota?

markkuk
9th May 2006, 03:02 PM
It's not a command, it's an option for the adduser command. However the FC5 adduser command doesn't have any of the options used in the command line that you quoted. Are you sure that the instructions are for Linux?
The "GECOS" field of /etc/passwd is for comments, usually for the full name of the user.

bae
11th May 2006, 09:07 AM
It's not a command, it's an option for the adduser command. However the FC5 adduser command doesn't have any of the options used in the command line that you quoted. Are you sure that the instructions are for Linux?
The "GECOS" field of /etc/passwd is for comments, usually for the full name of the user.

i''m pretty sure that it is for linux... i try to create new user using gui so i am having difficulties to determine whether it need a password bcoz the username is pykota and --gecos as you said for the name so i don't know which one is for password... and i also cannot find how to change the user for cups bcoz it needs cups to run under lp user ...

markkuk
11th May 2006, 10:05 AM
The password isn't given as a parameter to adduser, it's set separately with the passwd command. User accounts created for programs don't normally have a password.
CUPS runs as root in Fedora. Trying to change that is likely to break printing completely.

bae
11th May 2006, 10:09 AM
The password isn't given as a parameter to adduser, it's set separately with the passwd command. User accounts created for programs don't normally have a password.
CUPS runs as root in Fedora. Trying to change that is likely to break printing completely.
thanx for helping me :) ... i retry to configure it