PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Suspend

aero-z
9th May 2006, 09:17 AM
Hello,

I'm having a problem with suspending. When I activate it, the screen goes black and sleep led turns on. So I close the lid and when I open it again my lappy starts up again. The problem is that after powering up again then screen stays black and nothing else happens. The only way to get it working again is to turn the laptop off from button and then start it up again.

JoeyJoJoe
9th May 2006, 12:28 PM
I've had a similar thing going on, when my sceen goes black because it is set to after a period of inactivity. Because of this I'm not sure it is a specific problem with suspend, more with starting sceens after they have been switched off. I'm inclined to think that this is a problem with the kernel rather than a machine specific thing, although I don't know enough to test this nor do I know where or how to report it as a bug. My advice is don't use that feature if you can avoid it, I switched off the screen going black (but my suspend seems to work) and everything is ok. I know I might not have been helpful but if enough people have had this problem then maybe it might trigger an investigation...

aero-z
9th May 2006, 08:14 PM
It's not related to inactivity. My laptop just cant get out of suspend more after activating it. I have set turn off monitor to never in power management.

JoeyJoJoe
9th May 2006, 11:35 PM
I'm sorry then, but I don't have any ideas on it... mine works, maybe you could try updating your system using the general yum update, it could be a compatibility issue with kernel/modules...
that really is everything I can think of...

sorry I couldn't help,
Joe

aero-z
3rd June 2006, 05:19 PM
Any updates on the Suspending problem?

newfc2user
3rd June 2006, 06:40 PM
I had a similar problem with a Intel 855GM chispset and the stock i810 driver. I had to disable DRI to make things work with that. Fortunately, I found an experimental i810 driver from the Intel folks that fixed the problem for me.
The thing is that your display has "POST" problems during resume. You can test easily. Before you suspend, go to console 1 (by pressing Ctl-Alt-F1). Log in as root. Go back to your regular display by pressing Ctl-Alt-F7. Suspend as usual. Resume by opening lid. After all disk activity has ceased, press Ctl-Alt-F1 to go to console 1 again. Then type "vbetool post". Note that you will be typing this blind since your display will remain blank. Hopefully, at this point you will have your display back. If that works, then you can add that command in your acpi scripts.

Firewing1
3rd June 2006, 06:44 PM
See my suspend in FC5 howto - I had the same issue and the instruction in my howto fixed it.
Firewing1

scotta3234
3rd June 2006, 07:28 PM
Hey Firewing,
Since this thread is open and i haven't gotten a rexsponse from my post in your how-to in a week or so, any ideas on why my synaptics drivers loose sync after a resume. The resume works just fine it just messes with my touchpad drivers!!

Firewing1
3rd June 2006, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure - I've never used synaptics... Although, a good start is reading through the manpages and documentation to see if there's a command to enable the driver / module again - Then just add it to your /etc/pm/functions-whatever file and it should work.
EDIT: Try this one:
/sbin/modprobe evdev
Firewing1

scotta3234
3rd June 2006, 11:47 PM
Hmmm,
It seems as though you have the right method of unloading/reloading the module after some searches on google although lsmod doesn't seem to list the synaptics module. Perhaps it's in the kernel, in which case i wouldnt know where to start going about fixing this.

Firewing1
4th June 2006, 12:20 AM
Try running that modprobe command, just to see if the module exists...
Firewing1

scotta3234
4th June 2006, 01:19 AM
Nope... got the module not found error

aero-z
4th June 2006, 01:58 PM
I didn't try the How-To yet but there are few things I already noticed - I have ATI card and it doesnt even have agp. What to do then?

Firewing1
4th June 2006, 03:59 PM
Then this shouldn't affect you :) Skip the step that concerns modifying AGP options, and it should be okay
Firewing1

aero-z
5th June 2006, 04:17 PM
Still the same problem. I deleted functions-nvidia and commented out the line from functions-intel. I even tryed with agp=off parameter. Still - system suspends nicely but after resume, the display stays black I just need to turn it off from power button.

Firewing1
5th June 2006, 05:33 PM
OK... So it's ATi, no AGP, so agp conflicts are out of the question... Are you using kmod-fglrx or the integrated X drivers?

According to here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2005/01/msg00090.html
ATi doesn't support suspend / resume :( Mind you, that was almost a year and a half ago... Things most probably have changed.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_display_remaining_black_after_resume# Solution_for_ThinkPads_with_ATI_graphic_chips_.28o r_Intel_915GM.29
Check that out, apparently someone got it working.

Firewing1

aero-z
5th June 2006, 06:49 PM
OK... So it's ATi, no AGP, so agp conflicts are out of the question... Are you using kmod-fglrx or the integrated X drivers?

According to here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2005/01/msg00090.html
ATi doesn't support suspend / resume :( Mind you, that was almost a year and a half ago... Things most probably have changed.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_display_remaining_black_after_resume# Solution_for_ThinkPads_with_ATI_graphic_chips_.28o r_Intel_915GM.29
Check that out, apparently someone got it working.

Firewing1
I'm using kmod-fglrx
I added this parameter to menu.lst:

acpi_sleep=s3_bios
Now after resuming from suspend I get white text in console:

RS480M- TEST BIOS 300/14 BR11306
and I need use the power button again.

aero-z
6th June 2006, 10:59 AM
Any other ideas?

aero-z
7th June 2006, 03:03 PM
Seems like a problem without any solution :(

Firewing1
7th June 2006, 05:09 PM
Have you tried updating your motherboard's BIOS?
Firewing1

aero-z
7th June 2006, 06:18 PM
Have you tried updating your motherboard's BIOS?
Firewing1
Yes I have the latest version from Fujitsu-Siemens site.

andrewnl
8th July 2006, 10:01 AM
I have similar problem with a Dell inspiron 6000 with mobility radeon X300. Installed ATI drivers as per http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html. That worked great, the glxgears demo looks good. But suspend stopped working, screen goes black like for you.

ATI driver web site here: https://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.26.18.html says there is a problem with suspend: "A system hang may occur when attempting to resume from hibernation mode. Further details can be found in topic number 737-22059". Trying to search that topic number doesn't get anything though.

I now want to revert to the initial setup after FC5 install - I can live without 3D acceleration more than without suspend. I did "yum remove kmod-fglrx", which took the xorg driver package with it. Then X failed to start at all. Edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf to comment out the dri line in the Section "Module" bit. X11 now starts following boot. But the machine still just goes black screen when I open the lid after a suspend.

I can't see anything of relevant in Xorg.0.log, dmesg, or messages, pretty much stuck now with shutting machine down rather than suspending. Anyone got ideas on removing the ATI propietry driver and relevant config?

andrewnl
9th July 2006, 01:36 AM
It turns out that hibernate works well, even if suspend does not. I find I can hibernate and successfully resume, using an ATI mobility radeon X300, in FC5. Either use /usr/sbin/pm-hibernate as root, or change the shut lid behaviour in the gnome-power applet to hibernate. This is with the fglrx driver loaded and working, and it still works after the resume. It takes a bit longer to go in and out of hibernate, but so far seems to work perfectly.

aero-z
9th July 2006, 11:34 AM
It turns out that hibernate works well, even if suspend does not. I find I can hibernate and successfully resume, using an ATI mobility radeon X300, in FC5. Either use /usr/sbin/pm-hibernate as root, or change the shut lid behaviour in the gnome-power applet to hibernate. This is with the fglrx driver loaded and working, and it still works after the resume. It takes a bit longer to go in and out of hibernate, but so far seems to work perfectly.
Mine doesn't. If I configure to hibernate when I close then lid then after I have closed the lid the comp makes a click like turning things off and then clicks again and system keeps running.

andrewnl
10th July 2006, 03:32 AM
I wonder if this: http://mhensler.de/swsusp/ is relevant. I haven't done it, and its a whole different kernel build, plus some other changes, so could be either really good or really bad for your system! Still the current kernel should remain installed, so probably you could revert to that, if swsusp2 causes more problems than it solves.