PDA

View Full Version : Video file playback choppy in FC5 in xine and mplayer

parish
9th May 2006, 03:08 AM
I did a clean install of FC5 followed by a full yum update, and then installed xine and mplayer and all their dependencies from livna via yum. Now when I play mpg and avi files, playback is very choppy. Further, the player gets bogged down and is very slow to respond to commands, although the system itself remains responsive. I've verified that dma is enabled on the drives and that there is nothing suspicious in /var/log/messages. Playback in FC4 was fine.

Any suggestions, this has got me stumped.

Thanks.

Seve
9th May 2006, 03:30 AM
Hello:
Could it be the livna repos and FC5 ? http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Yum
Dunno for sure, but worth consideration as I can only speak for myself, and I have 0 issues along the lines that you describe on FC5 32 or FC5 x86_64?
Seve

parish
9th May 2006, 05:49 AM
That's a good suggestion Seve, thanks. I assumed that video playback was working for most people or I would have read more about it here. I think I'll try uninstalling all the video playback apps, dependencies, etc., and then reinstalling them by hand.

Daniel

parish
10th May 2006, 05:33 AM
It turns out that I had forgotten to recompile the modules for my nvidia card. Of course this didn't occur to me until I had tried deinstalling/reinstalling everything without solving the problem, and breaking my sound in the process. :mad:

In any case, although it took a bit of work to get the nvidia drivers working due to selinux issues, and to fix the sound issue, I finally did it and video playback is now working like it did in FC4.

Daniel