PDA

View Full Version : yum ipw2200 - Where is it at?

tmort
9th May 2006, 01:07 AM
I've had to reinstall FC4 a few times and I'm finding that IPW2200 was at atprms and isn't anymore and then I found it at freshrpms and now I can't find it there.

Anyone know where it is these days. I can find the source but would much prefer to just use yum?

I also would like to stick with things compatible with freshrpms, dries etc.

Thanks

jim
9th May 2006, 01:09 AM
the source is easy
http://www.fedorajim.homelinux.com/?q=node/21

I even have a installer script if you want to try it out? I'll attach it in a few

jim
9th May 2006, 01:37 AM
Here it is give it a whirl

tmort
9th May 2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks,

I've got the firmware installed, the one for 2.4, but, I can't find the drivers. I' ve heard fc4 includes the drivers. I see there is a directory with ipw source but no rpms.

I also see on the page you referred me to there is a little discussion on NetworkManager. In my previous installation I couldn't get it to work. It would see networks but not show signal strengths and I couldn't connect.

jim
9th May 2006, 10:38 AM
the drivers are part of the kernel install the firmware and thats it

Networkmananger works much better now

tmort
9th May 2006, 10:44 AM
I did the rmmod, modprobe and iw config but didn't see eth1. I also tried internet connection wizard and didn't see it listed. I'll try rebooting maybe

jim
9th May 2006, 10:55 AM
you'll need to add the wireless device in the network wizard make sure you add a wireless device

tmort
9th May 2006, 10:58 AM
I still don't see the card after rebooting.

I originally installed the firmware per the instructions but couldn't find find it with iwconfig. I then ran the script which unistalled it and presumably installed the right version for my kernel (which was 2.4 the same as I had installed). I still don't see it with iwconfig.

Thanks

jim
9th May 2006, 11:33 PM
you'll need to add the wireless card with neat

run in the terminal

neat
click hardware tab Do you see the Intel Corporation PRO/WIRELESS...
if do then continue
click devices then New
Chose Wireless connection then Forward

Choose the Intel Wireless device
then continue with the wizard

tmort
10th May 2006, 12:51 PM
I'm not at that computer now, but, I did try runing the network configuartion wizard from the GUI and it was not listed.

tox_yray
10th May 2006, 07:28 PM
For ipw2200, i'd say just install freshrpm and livna repositories and do the following:

yum install ipw2200-firmware

Should work like a charm...

jim
10th May 2006, 09:50 PM
Just run Networkmanager and connect to your AP as long as you boot into gnome

chkconfig NetworkManager on
service NetworkManager start

tmort
11th May 2006, 04:30 AM
I can't find the Intel Pro Card with neat after installing the firmware.
IPW2200 isn't in freshrpms anymore and it wasn't in llivna last time I tried there so I can't use yum, which is how I would prefer to install it

jim
11th May 2006, 10:22 AM
The thing the rpm does is do the same thing you did. place 8 files into a directory.
Have you rebooted ?
did you load the module?
modprobe ipw2200
Type lspci
The line in Red below do you have the same?

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
01:01.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG (rev 05)
01:02.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6105 [Rhine-III] (rev 8b)

The driver for the ipw2*00 devices is built into the kernel. the only thing that needs to be added is the firmware. Since you added the firmware you should get the above line.

Type su - in the terminal

type iwlist scan

do you see any acces points ? look at eth0 eth1 etc... Post the results

tmort
11th May 2006, 03:04 PM
I got it by running yum install ipw2200-firmware. I had been trying yum install pw2200 which is what I remember it being.

Anyway it is working now. Maybe tonight I'll see if I can get NetworkManager to work.

Thanks for the help, from by past experience with NetworkManager I'll probably need more

tmort
14th May 2006, 05:53 PM
I can det Netorkmanager running. I see networks, but no signal strength. If I select one (that I know works and is within range) the icon changes but no bars and I don't connect. If I select create new wireless network the icon is animated and the green lights light and the four bars show up for a moment or two but go off. If I select a network it doesn't connect.

tox_yray
14th May 2006, 06:19 PM
I can't really help you on this one, since mine worked out-of-the-box with NM (after the firmware was installed). Try to look at the properties of your network ( System-> Administration -> Network) to see if a DEVICE (probably eth1 or wlan0) was created with your hardware (Intel Corp etc etc). If not, create it.

tmort
15th May 2006, 04:41 AM
yes, a device was created, eth1. It works if I use neat to connect but NetworkManager doesn't work

tox_yray
15th May 2006, 01:44 PM
You see, that is really strange, because mine works like a charm. Do you use WPA encryption? I don't, so that might be the problem. NM is known to have issues with WPA/WPA2.