PDA

View Full Version : A CD Ripper that doesn't suck?

OperatorOne
9th May 2006, 12:17 AM
Can someone point me to a way I can encode music that doesn't totally suck. I have multiple devices that I use to playback music on, and so I need my files ot be mp3 (my PSP for example, doesnt suport ogg).

I followed the tutorials for both Soundjuicer and GRIP and I get lame results with both. Either I get garbage files that are TOOO Large (SOUNDJUICER), or it pretends to encode but then when I look for the mp3 file, it is not there, even though the program log states that it is (GRIP). I have LAME installed as I understand it is the best codec for encoding.

suggestions are helpful, Im almost able to toss Windows in the trash.... thanks in advance.

Seve
9th May 2006, 12:39 AM
Well ......depends on your definition of
that doesn't suck?
IMO KaudioCreator does a wonderful job. Then again, others swear by Grip. I am sure there are more out there as well.
Give each a whirl and see what you think.
Seve

u-noneinc-s
9th May 2006, 12:57 AM
I have never had a problem with grip. I believe by default it creates a ~/mp3 dir and puts the files there. It's been so long
since I set it up, I don't remember for sure if it created the dir or if I did but I'd swear it did. I think when I first used it, it didn't
create any mp3's because I forgot to configure it to use lame, but it didn't claim to create the mp3's and not create them.

Seve
9th May 2006, 01:17 AM
I have never had a problem with grip. I believe by default it creates a ~/mp3 dir and puts the files there. It's been so long
since I set it up, I don't remember for sure if it created the dir or if I did but I'd swear it did. I think when I first used it, it didn't
create any mp3's because I forgot to configure it to use lame, but it didn't claim to create the mp3's and not create them.
I am in agreement, although I am using KaudioCreator lately, and really not that much, but, I have always thought Grip did a great job :)
Seve