PDA

View Full Version : Unstable

complete-noobie
8th May 2006, 06:33 PM
I am finding that Fedora Core 4 is really unstable. Sometimes a program will close and it will continue to close by itself until I restart. The program that closes is usually Firefox however not always. Other times my Desktop icons will disappear and not come back. I find that I'm restarting my machine once every day.

My quesion is, am I expecting to much from linux? If not, then does anybody else find Fedora to be unstable?
Thanks, Kaleb

complete-noobie
8th May 2006, 06:38 PM
One additional piece of information that I forgot to add is that this is my everyday PC that I use.

ccrvic
8th May 2006, 06:42 PM
My quesion is, am I expecting to much from linux? If not, then does anybody else find Fedora to be unstable?

You're not expecting too much from Linux; you might be expecting too much from Fedora.

Fedora deliberately uses leading-edge code to give its users as many toys as possible; as a result, it's not always the most stable of distributions.

If you want something more stable, you might like to try something based on a more mature codebase; my current favourite is http://whiteboxlinux.org , but there are many others as well...

Vic.

brandor
8th May 2006, 08:26 PM
You're not expecting too much from Linux; you might be expecting too much from Fedora.

Fedora deliberately uses leading-edge code to give its users as many toys as possible; as a result, it's not always the most stable of distributions.

If you want something more stable, you might like to try something based on a more mature codebase; my current favourite is http://whiteboxlinux.org , but there are many others as well...

Vic.

I'm sure everyones experiences with Fedora are different, but come on. Fedora is not unstable. Sure it's a little buggy after a release until they get the bugs patched, but FC4 is way beyond that stage.

OP, you may want to run a check on your ram. Also, what other programs are you running when you experience these problems?

lazlow
8th May 2006, 08:29 PM
complete-noobie

You might want to run memtest86+ for a couple of hours. I had one memory module (on one machine) that was flakey and saw similiar behavior to what you describe. Passed the bios check without a hitch. It would run (memtest86+) the test fine for 15 minutes or so but on longer tests its "true" behavior would show up. Pulled that memory and very solid (weeks without reboot).

Lazlow