PDA

View Full Version : Problem with dual booting WinXP

blitzkrieg04
8th May 2006, 06:14 PM
Okay, I've had windows xp installed on this comp now for some time, and just recently used partition magic to create a partition for fedora 5, and then installed fedora 5 on that partition (I'm running 3 hard drives in a raid 0, 208gb total, 50gb to fedora). Installation went fine and am using fedora now, but I cant boot windows anymore. I have tried the option of boot other in the menu when loading fedora but after a couple lines of text (I forget what it says, some system code, blah+1 and such) nothing happens. Now I'm guessing windows is supposed to load at this time, but it doesn't. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Help would be greatly apreciated, for I don't want to have to reformat cause I don't wanna lose all my stuff, I purchased downloads of some programs that total 8gb in size, don't wanna have to dl them again.

Seve
8th May 2006, 06:17 PM
Hello:
Can you login as root and post the output of # cat /etc/grub.conf
Seve

blitzkrieg04
8th May 2006, 06:30 PM
Okay, sorry, I am a complete noob when it comes to anything not windows lol, so your going to have to walk me through that output, where do I type that stuff in? I logged in as root, but where do I find the output of # cat /etc/grub.conf

Did find this info, not sure if it will help, was in a file called anaconda-ks.cfg:
# The following is the partition information you requested
# Note that any partitions you deleted are not expressed
# here so unless you clear all partitions first, this is
# not guaranteed to work
#clearpart --linux --drives=mapper/nvidia_cefgfdhd
#part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --ondisk=mapper/nvidia_cefgfdhd
#part pv.5 --size=0 --grow --ondisk=mapper/nvidia_cefgfdhd
#volgroup VolGroup00 --pesize=32768 pv.5
#logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=LogVol00 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=1024 --grow
#logvol swap --fstype swap --name=LogVol01 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=1000 --grow --maxsize=1984

Seve
8th May 2006, 06:41 PM
Okay, sorry, I am a complete noob when it comes to anything not windows lol, so your going to have to walk me through that output, where do I type that stuff in? I logged in as root, but where do I find the output of # cat /etc/grub.conf
Hello:
Have a quick read through here :http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/ and also here : http://www.fedorafaq.org/ both will help with your understanding of some of the basics.
I, probably was not clear enough, sorry :) logged in as a normal user : you need to open a terminal then at the prompt type $ su - enter
then type in your root password and then type # cat /etc/grub.conf
the ouput will appear on your screen.
Seve

blitzkrieg04
8th May 2006, 06:57 PM
Okay, this is the output of the command you told me to type in to the terminal:

[root@dhcppc0 ~]# cat /etc/grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,1)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/mapper/nvidia_cefgfdhd
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img
title Other
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
chainloader +1
[root@dhcppc0 ~]#

I should probably also mention that on my hard drive(s), there are three partitions, two bootable partitions (one NTFS for winxp and other is for fedora) and on the winxp partition there is a logical fat32 partition of 50mb.

rhb100
8th May 2006, 08:16 PM
The rootnoverify (hd0,4) in your grub.conf file refers to the fifth partition on your Master Hard Drive connected to your IDE Primary. Is this where your Windows XP is located. (hd0,0) refers to the first partition on your Master Primary hard drive. This may be the cause of your problem when you attempt to boot other. You can edit your grub.conf file using gedit or other editor as root. My grub.conf was in /boot/grub.
Navigate to your grub.conf directory using cd /boot/grub or cd /etc .
Then login as root using su then root password on next line. Then
gedit grub.conf
and change (hd0,4) to (hd0,0) if appropriate. Change title Other to title Windows XP if appropriate. Put # before hiddenmenu if you want to see the menu. Change default=0 to default=1 if youwant to make Windows XP the default boot. Save and then reboot. If this fails you can get into Windows XP with a startup disk if you created one with a backup program or perhaps with your Windows XP install disk.