PDA

View Full Version : what file browser do you use in Gnome?

the_phet
8th May 2006, 03:44 PM
hello, I have always use KDE (with konqueror), but now with FC5 I decided to change and installed Gnome. I like it, it's clean and all its its accesible, but I dont like nautilus, I think it's a lot worst than konqueror.
When I enter a directory it opens a new window, I dont like it, also the "Move" feature in konqueror was very powerful, I cant find how to move stuff using nautilus (I mean, something like right click - move on konqueror).
Also i find pretty hard to navigate through the directorys, since it doesnt have a "back-next" arrows.

So that's why I ask, what file browser do you use in gnome?

And sorry for my english, im from spain.

goodbye

wdgiles
8th May 2006, 04:00 PM
I use nautilus and sometimes the gentoo file browser for more detailed work. To solve your two problems with nautilus: You can use the "edit" menu and click on the "behavior" tab. Uncheck the "Always open in browser windows" Also, choose the "View" menu and and choose "Main toolbar" that should provide the navigation arrows you seek.

bg

tomcat
8th May 2006, 05:59 PM
I use Nautilus or the CLI / Terminal which is very fast, as you might image. But then, there are no image previews in the CLI. :D

Firewing1
8th May 2006, 06:11 PM
Nautilus, it owns once you get the configuration setup right. My steps:
[menu] System > Prefs > Theme > Clearlooks > Theme Details > Icons > Bluecurve > OK, OK, OK, OK until it closes
Open nautilus > Edit > Preferences > Behaviour > Tick "Always open in browser windows" and "Always use text-entry address bar" or something like that.
Firewing1