PDA

View Full Version : Installing Screensavers

crossmr
7th May 2006, 07:16 PM
I wanted to try my hand at installing these, as I managed to install a desktop theme last night without injuring anyone. I downloaded the package, contained about 8 screensavers, configured, make, make install.
They didn't show up so I poked around and found out I had to put a .desktop file somewhere nad make sure the exexutable was in path. It was in path as typing each name would pop up a small box with the screen saver.

I found the place I was supposed to put the .desktop but it turns out the .desktop files are for KDE, not gnome.

I copied the Fedora bubbles .desktop file and substituted in the appropriate exec to run the screen saver however I'm running into the following behaviour:
When clicking the screensaver in the preferences area, it pops up a small box , similar to running it from the command line. It doesn't run it in the preview window like other screen savers. With the screensaver selected when it skips to the screen saver, it doesn't run it. Just provides a blank screen.

http://www.linuxhotbox.com/fun/screensavers/rss-glx_0.7.6.tar.bz2
those are the screensavers if anyone happens to have any thoughts on them and what I need to do to integrate them properly. The man pages include a website that appears to be defunct now.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

[edit] found an rpm at: rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/1131196/com/rss_glx-0.7.4-1.i386.rpm.html

however installing it didn't seem to add them to the list either.

VictorienSardou
13th May 2006, 01:39 PM
you can try to get more screensavers from fedora updates:
yum install xscreensaver-extras xscreensaver-gl-extras xscreenserver-base
and they will appear in Gnome under System -> Preferences -> Screensaver

crossmr
13th May 2006, 05:02 PM
That did get me some more screensavers, but I'm still wondering about the package I want to install. http://www.reallyslick.com/ I actually found the new site for them (they haven't updated their man pages) and specifically I'm really interested in that hyperspace screensaver.

I've also got an error in some of those screensavers. A few of them like StarWars for example are writing error text rather than what I think they're supposed to be writing as part of their function. Something about an error on line 167 in some part of a screensaver file.

crossmr
14th May 2006, 05:58 PM
Just an additional note. I've tried some of the other screensavers that get installed with that, and while they preview correctly (like for example the pacman screensaver) when it goes idle, I just get a black screen. I've tried a few of the xscreensavers and they all produce this behaviour. Any ideas?

hunter362
9th June 2006, 01:44 PM
I installed xscreensavers-extras and xscreensavers-gl-extras
Whenever the gnome-screensaver package is updateed I loose the above packages.
They are still installed, but don't showup under preferences > screensavers
The only way to get them back is to erase and re-install, then there back.

VictorienSardou
11th June 2006, 09:35 PM
the gnome-screensaver package has just been updated on my system and all the xscreensavers still show up under preferences > screensavers.

crossmr
11th June 2006, 09:53 PM
I just updated on my laptop and noticed they disappeared for me.
However the one I had chosen was still working.

i've removed them and used yum to put them back in and they're there again.

Firewing1
11th June 2006, 10:08 PM
See my Screensavers how-to (available from the full list link in my signature) for how to install screensavers for gnome-screensaver. Please note you'll have to upgrade gnome-screensaver to version 2.15.
Firewing1

crossmr
11th June 2006, 10:20 PM
That is helpful on getting xscreensavers into gnome, my initial question was actually about some screensavers that came with KDE settings, can I apply those same principles to get those to work?

GaryJ73167
17th August 2006, 02:42 PM
Victorian,

Thanks for the your (screensaver) command. That is just what i was looking for..It is appreciated.

Firewing1
25th January 2007, 01:00 AM
What's your graphics card?
Firewing1