PDA

View Full Version : Fedora is not suitable for a translator' everyday use, why?

newyilang
7th May 2006, 01:13 PM
Well, I am a translator. I must deal with Chinese, English, and Japanese languages on my computer.

At present, I am using WindowsXP as my desktop and Fedora in VMware. As for Windows, I use the English version as the base system and added MUI support, so I can handle English, Chinese, and Japanese document at just one system.

I really love the penguine rather than Windows. However, I can't transfer to Linux totally. I install Fedora with English as my default language, but it is impossible for me to visit Chinese and Japanese pages. Whenever I visit such pages, there will be always corrupt codes on the screen.

Oops, I am a translator. I must deal with multi-languages at one system. Is Fedora suitable for me?

tomcat
7th May 2006, 05:37 PM
Have you installed all necessary language packs already?

daihard
7th May 2006, 05:41 PM
At present, I am using WindowsXP as my desktop and Fedora in VMware. As for Windows, I use the English version as the base system and added MUI support, so I can handle English, Chinese, and Japanese document at just one system.

I really love the penguine rather than Windows. However, I can't transfer to Linux totally. I install Fedora with English as my default language, but it is impossible for me to visit Chinese and Japanese pages. Whenever I visit such pages, there will be always corrupt codes on the screen.
That's exactly what would happen to your XP if you did not have the East-Asian Language support installed with it. Why do you expect Fedora Core to behave any differently? ;)

There is an option to choose the languages to support during FC installation. Fedora will install all the necessary files (including fonts) for the selected languages, and you'll have no problem writing, not to mention viewing Web sites, in those languages.

newyilang
9th May 2006, 03:49 PM
Thank you for your help. I am a translator, so I must deal with Chinese, Japanese and German language everyday.

At Present, I have added the language support for the above languages. I can view multi-language webpages now. But that's not enough, I want to input Chinese, Japanese and German.

I can input Chinese now. However, Japanese and German input is still a problem remained.

Need your help, thanks!

icydog
9th May 2006, 06:50 PM
There should be SCIM modules for Japanese input, try yum search scim. I have run into problems where Chinese text displays as garbage even though Chinese fonts are installed. rpm -e fonts-japanese fixed that. I don't know why Japanese fonts would mess with the Chinese fonts, but in case you have that problem, just wanted you to know.

daihard
10th May 2006, 07:18 AM
I don't think German requires any special IME (input method editor). All you need is a keyboard layout that enables the input of things like umlauts and accent symbols, such as "US International."

As for Japanese, I use SCIM to type in Japanese text every day. Works rather well. Like icydog says, you just need to make sure you have the correct SCIM modules installed, such as a dictionary module (I use "scim-anthy").

Omega Blue
10th May 2006, 10:17 AM
Thank you for your help. I am a translator, so I must deal with Chinese, Japanese and German language everyday.

At Present, I have added the language support for the above languages. I can view multi-language webpages now. But that's not enough, I want to input Chinese, Japanese and German.

I can input Chinese now. However, Japanese and German input is still a problem remained.

Need your help, thanks!

Refer to this section (http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/#sn-I18n) of the release notes for details. You can add Japanese, Chinese (simplified and traditional), Korean, etc. to scim.

newyilang
10th May 2006, 12:23 PM
Thank you for all you kind guys! The problem was almost 100% settled. Now I can input Chinese, Japanese and English with just one langguage environment.

There is still a trivial problem left, which is the German input method. It's true that I can change the keyboard layout to input German, but how to input English at the same time?

It seems not to be a perfect solution to change the keyboard just to input German. If I want to input English and German at the same time, then the keyboard layout must be change times and times. Not very convenient, Yeah?

tox_yray
10th May 2006, 07:34 PM
German uses the same alphabet than US except some special characters right? So basically, I guess the keyboard layout IS the thing to change so it allows those characters. Having a keyboard that allows German characters will not, I believe, deprive you from the standard 26 letters-10 digits american alphabet...

I personnally have a French Canadian keyboard, and I can write English with absolutely no problem... Why would it differ for German?

newyilang
11th May 2006, 01:25 AM
Perfect solution!

Many thanks to tox_yray!