PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Fedora lean?

sixy
7th May 2006, 12:50 PM
Every time i install fedora, I have to spend some time carefully de-selecting all the packages I dont want or need, in order to have a fast, slim system with minimal garbage installed.
then, using yum, i install the few extra packages in need on top of that and run an update.

why then, do i see useless packages like gaim that i deliberately de-selected, being installed in these updates? i cannot honestly belive that any package anywhere truly depends on gaim to function. same goes for evolution or spamassasain.

I install a basic fedora system (kde, development stuff, mysql, alsa, samba, nothing else) then install nvidia drivers, lirc and mythtv via yum then update and suddenly all the time i spent deselecting irrelevant packages is wasted as yum cheerfully installs it all anyway.

if this truly is a dependancy issue, then something is rotten in the world of linux software development, as how can a tv program and two driver kernel modules possibly require things like spamassain?

how can i stop this from happening?

pparks1
7th May 2006, 02:30 PM
That's a good question and one that I have wondered about as well.

I keep my loads fairly small....I do unselect some things. However, I haven't noticed much of a performance drop with these things that do get loaded....so i've never really spent the time trying to chase down the root cause. Maybe somebody else here has. Obviously, it appears to be a dependency issue, but like you said......what thing is honestly going to require spamassassin (when it isn't a mail server application being installed)?

gtr225
7th May 2006, 03:52 PM
That is one thing about Fedora I don't like is that it is almost dare I say "Windows like" in the way that it can get bloated with stuff you don't need. They should make it easier to maintain a lean Fedora system.

Jman
8th May 2006, 03:18 AM
Try removing it sometime, see what other dependencies it will remove:
yum remove evolution

Often there's some library that some program is linked against, so yum adds the full package. Thus you need mozilla installed to run Gnome's yelp help browser, for example. (I think that one's come up on the mailing list.)

gavinw6662
8th May 2006, 03:20 AM
I was just talking about this with my co-worker. Why (in FC5) I clicked to deactivate several of the Bluetooth options, and when FC boots - it still starts the Bluetooth daemon. I have no reason for it. So why?? I just started to play with Trustix Linux which is a redhat clone and so nice cause it doesn't start any un-necessary service at boot. It is pretty cool with regards to that. Very lean!

Finalzone
8th May 2006, 06:18 AM
Make sure you have uncheck Blueboot services and save the settings.