PDA

View Full Version : How to clean up old software

moi
7th May 2006, 04:16 AM
I just install Fedora on my dual boot machine. Everything went fine. After that, I used pup and updated the following 2 applications to their latest versions

1) Kernel

To: 2.6.16_1.2096_FC5

2) Firefox

To: 1.5.0.2

When I restarted my machine, in the GRUB loader, it displayed 2 Fedora kernels for me to choose. I want to remove the old kernel and only use the latest one from my machine and from the GRUB loader as well. I want to do the same thing for firefox also Can you tell me how? I'm new to linux so some instruction steps are greatly appreciated. Thanks

w5set
7th May 2006, 06:45 AM
Yum/rpm/pup all have one thing in common when they/it updates the kernel--they leave the last kernel installed and remove the older kernel (the now # 3 kernel) so you will have a working system in case the newest one breaks or something doesn't work--default just leaves just the new kernel with an older "backup"--which by the way is an excellent plan!!
and if you used yum/rpm/pup to update Firefox--it should have overwritten the older version--easy way to see would be open a terminal and type in
rpm -qa | grep firefox
(the "|" thing is the shifted backslash "\" character)
and it should show just which version(s) are installed.

ccrvic
7th May 2006, 10:15 AM
rpm -qa | grep firefox

Faster than that would be "rpm -q firefox"...

Vic.

moi
7th May 2006, 05:48 PM
right now I have 2 firefox folders 1.5.0.1 and firefox 1.5.0.2. Is it safe if I just delete the old folder 1.5.0.1 because I don't want old folders lying around.?