PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core 5 as a Home Desktop OS

Hangetsu
5th May 2006, 04:09 PM
Hello folks! I'm trying to decide if I want to move from Ubuntu to Fedora as my home desktop OS. I currently dual boot Ubuntu Breezy and Windows XP, connected to a wireless home network (using ndiswrapper and wpasupplicant) - Ubuntu is 80% of my usage, XP is kept around for game support and iTunes.

I'm considering a switch to another distro, as I'm looking for something secure and stable, with great community and company support. Ubuntu has been a great introduction to linux, but I'm very interested in SELinux for security reasons - Given that Fedora is the first major distro to have it out of the box, I thought it might make sense to try here.

My use is fairly straightforward: Email, browsing, office apps, remote connection to work via Citrix. I might eventually move my music over, and I already do maintain my taxes, etc. on my PC in an encrypted folder. I also expect to do some dabbling in J2EE development.

What I'd like to know is, do you think Fedora Core 5 is a good "advanced user" desktop (I'm still a newbie to linux, but learning!)? I've looked at SUSE as well, but I'm not comfortable with Novell as a company - and the community here is a lot stronger. Ubuntu concerns me from a security perspective, and has no plans in Dapper to have any sort of enhanced security. I've heard from some sites that Fedora is more of a server linux, but some of the screenshots and info I've read are impressive.

Anyway, thanks in advance for answering my question, and sorry for the long-winded post, but just asking "Is it a good desktop" doesnt give you any indication of what I want to do with that desktop.

Thanks again!

JN4OldSchool
5th May 2006, 04:14 PM
My personal opinion is FC5 is the BEST home desktop you can get. It is newbie friendly yet still cutting edge enough for advanced users. It also has the BEST support forum. The downside is that FC5 is already notoriously flaky to instal and set up. Some people have no problems, many do. But if you are patient enough to get everything working right it will purr right along with nary a problem (well, the new kernel problem is a concern...) Anyway, I suggest going for it, worse case is you just dont like it.

Thoreau
5th May 2006, 04:25 PM
I use FC as my main machine at work, in a windows world. I dual boot at home, on account of my addiction to World of Warcraft(although there are some emulators out there, that look good). If I could get WoW, to run as well on FC as Win XP, I'd switch over tomorrow. If you are worried about the issues with the new FC5, wait another month or two, so they get ironed out, then install.

I just did a fresh install of FC5 on my work machine, didn't have one sign of trouble, there is a guide out there, that I followed to get things like java, adobe reader, etc installed. It is a great guide. It's step by step.
http://www.stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

tomcat
5th May 2006, 05:24 PM
Fedora is a good second step if you want to dig deeper into Linux, but there are some things you should be aware of:

-Fedora has a slightly different system-layout than Ubuntu/Debian.
-SELinux is not really important for most home-desktops.
- You will have to do a fair amount of configuration before your system is set up properly (→multimedia comes to my mind), so take some time on configurating everything properly.

ccrvic
5th May 2006, 05:48 PM
My personal opinion is FC5 is the BEST home desktop you can get.

I'd go for RHEL4, myself; close enough to the edge for my taste, but much better on the stability front (and faster, IME).

Vic.

JoeyJoJoe
5th May 2006, 06:20 PM
It is funny you should say that because I myself am considering going over to Ubuntu from FC5. Don't get me wrong, I do really like FC5, but my main problem is that there are too many updates which are too big. Take Kernels for example, I installed core 5 less than 3 weeks ago, since then there have been 4 kernel updates, the last one was incapable of starting X for me and a load of other people. That was released yesterday (I think), and since then they have released another 2... 6 in 3 weeks is FAR too many, and it did seem like they hadn't even tested the 2107 release. I don't like to criticise the great work of everyone who works in the fedora project, they have made an effective free OS, which is fantastic... as I say though i would be happy with one kernel update every 2 months with quite a bit of testing, dare I say; they need to stop working so hard?

JN4OldSchool
5th May 2006, 06:26 PM
It is funny you should say that because I myself am considering going over to Ubuntu from FC5. Don't get me wrong, I do really like FC5, but my main problem is that there are too many updates which are too big. Take Kernels for example, I installed core 5 less than 3 weeks ago, since then there have been 4 kernel updates, the last one was incapable of starting X for me and a load of other people. That was released yesterday (I think), and since then they have released another 2... 6 in 3 weeks is FAR too many, and it did seem like they hadn't even tested the 2107 release. I don't like to criticise the great work of everyone who works in the fedora project, they have made an effective free OS, which is fantastic... as I say though i would be happy with one kernel update every 2 months with quite a bit of testing, dare I say; they need to stop working so hard?

You are just seeing FC 5's teething problems. It will all settle out in time. Any new release is rough the first couple months and this one is worse than usual. But FC5 rocks and will eventually settle down to become one of the better Linux distros. Till then, if you want to play with Ubuntu or anything else I am sure most of us here will understand. Just as long as it's Linux!

Hangetsu
5th May 2006, 06:58 PM
Its always fun to test drive new distros - Then again, I like golf so my idea of fun might be slightly twisted :p

I like Ubuntu and have used it for months, but for my home machine I'm looking for additional security offerings - Fedora has it as does SuSE (AppArmor). I've also personally had lots of quirks with Ubuntu, but that's purely my experience: YMMV.

pparks1
5th May 2006, 08:18 PM
SELinux is not really important for most home-desktops.
Totally agree

I'd go for RHEL4
Technically, you have to purchase support entitlements from RH to get updates. I'd recommend CentOS instead. It's build directly from the SRPM's of RHEL, but you get yum repos provided direct from them. Since it's built from the same source, it runs exactly the same.

I've heard from some sites that Fedora is more of a server linux
I'd disagree with that. Far too short of a supported life for a server, not stable enough, way too bleeding edge on unproven software. A better description is a beta test for Red Hat to find out what works for RHEL.

the community here is a lot stronger
Without a doubt....that's the thing that is so awesome about Fedora. Great community here and very helpful people.

Thoreau
5th May 2006, 08:26 PM
Totally agree
I'd disagree with that. Far too short of a supported life for a server, not stable enough, way too bleeding edge on unproven software. A better description is a beta test for Red Hat to find out what works for RHEL.

I agree 100%. Didn't even the development staff say Fedora was such?

tomcat
5th May 2006, 08:51 PM
If I remember well, Rahul from Red Hat said that Fedora is not designed as a testbed for RHEL, but imho it is, as RHEL is based off the best stuff from fedora. And yes, sadly FC5 is currently pretty unstable.

jbannon
5th May 2006, 09:04 PM
One thing I think you should be aware of is that if you're a fan of KDE, the KDE desktop in FC4 & FC5 is strangled for some strange reason, yet the KDE apps run perfectly well under Gnome... odd. This is a pity because the developer applications are way better in KDE.

JN4OldSchool
5th May 2006, 09:52 PM
One thing I think you should be aware of is that if you're a fan of KDE, the KDE desktop in FC4 & FC5 is strangled for some strange reason, yet the KDE apps run perfectly well under Gnome... odd. This is a pity because the developer applications are way better in KDE.

Huh? I havent had a problem with KDE in either 4 or 5 and havent heard this complaint yet either.

jbannon
5th May 2006, 10:10 PM
Huh? I havent had a problem with KDE in either 4 or 5 and havent heard this complaint yet either.

Then I'll need to try it again but every time I've tried it so far I can't get it run well. It just seems so slooowwww....

pparks1
5th May 2006, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I too am using KDE under both FC4 and FC5 and I haven't noticed a problem.