PDA

View Full Version : Assistance with User permissions

ACLBandit
5th May 2006, 02:16 PM
Hello, all.

On my Fedora Core 5 System, I have an account set up for myself and another user. What I would like to know: is there any way to give read/write permission for all files for my user account without being root? I don't like using the root account unless something has gone awry on another account; however, I would like to be able to access all files from my account. Any suggestions? Warnings?

Thanks for any amount of help in advance. It's not a huge problem, just sort of annoying to log out and back in for certain files.

jhetrick62
5th May 2006, 04:43 PM
I would not do that for all files, if you mean all user created files so that you can read, write the other users files that is easy.

Assign yourself to their group. Usually unless you change the defualt options, when you create a user it also creates a group for that user with the exact same name. Just add your user name to their group and you will get full access as long as the permissions are set to _rw_rw____ as a bare minimum.

Jeff

ACLBandit
5th May 2006, 05:18 PM
Oh, okay great! That makes sense, dunno why I didn't think of it. ^_^;

Goldy3311
5th May 2006, 07:21 PM
by the way, you shouldn't have to log out and log back in as root whenever you want to to any admin stuff. just do a
su if you want to do minimal admin stuff (i.e. this keeps your same environment variables, like paths). If you want complete root control (through a terminal) just a
su - (that's a hyphen) will suffice. In this other form of su, you inherit the complete environment of root, paths, permissions, everything.

As far as your question goes, I agree with the previous post. Don't do it, there's security issues as well as the fact that you just may screw something up. The user permission idea is a good start though..

ACLBandit
5th May 2006, 09:05 PM
RIght, but I do kind of like having the X system, it's a lot easier.