PDA

View Full Version : How to get sendmail to go away

BlueH2O
4th May 2006, 06:56 PM
A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, I didn't need sendmail. Then I installed fedora core 4, and I needed to run a mail server so I selected that in anaconda. More recently I've upgraded to core 5, and I no longer need to run said mail server. I'm trying to figure out how to return things to the old ways, when sendmail started up in a flash and only delivered local mail, as opposed to now where sendmail and sm-client take FOREVER to start and spend most of their time doing nothing. I tried removing things and disabling things but this seems to prevent local mail from being delivered as well.. I still need to get my local messages like logwatch, etc. How does one set this up I wonder? :confused:

ezzetabi
4th May 2006, 07:12 PM
yum list | grep -i sendmail

check the line that appear...

yum remove sendmail

Quella
4th May 2006, 07:21 PM
You could also use the GUI "Services" editor and just turn it off for each of run values (3,4,5,6) or you could use the "chkconfig" and disable the service from the terminal is you would like. Do you reant to remove it as the post above, or just shut it off and keep it on your system?

Quella

BlueH2O
4th May 2006, 07:27 PM
As I said I already removed it but that also prevented local messages being delivered.
It used to take only seconds for sendmail to start and only deliver local mail, I want to go back to that if possible.

tscheez
4th May 2006, 07:34 PM
remove it completely, get rid of the configuration files and re-install

or reset the configuration files back to default.

BlueH2O
4th May 2006, 07:38 PM
re-arranging the hosts table seems to have stopped it taking eons to start up so I'll be happy with that...