PDA

View Full Version : tar.gz files?

xXxz3r0xXx
4th May 2006, 12:54 AM
I wa wondering how do I run tar.gz files? Almost all of the WEP cracking software is this type of file. So can I not run it with Fedora Core or do I need a new type of linux? Also whenever I first load a page in firefox, sometimes it will hit the back button automatically. This is really making me mad because everytime I go to a webpage it just backs up, sometimes to the home page.

.:Thanks In Advance:.

jgutty
4th May 2006, 01:12 AM
tar files are a compilation of files....an archive. The gz extension is a compression routine added on. You can't 'run' them. you must use an archive program like file roller, etc. to open the archive.

Loki1950
4th May 2006, 01:15 AM
tar.gz is just a compresison format like zip or rar so you open then with the file roller or the Archive manager Applications-->Accessories-->Archive Manager in Gnome.

Enjoy the Choice:)

xXxz3r0xXx
4th May 2006, 01:23 AM
I know they are an archive, and I know how to read them but how do i find the source code in them and then use the code to make the program? Also how do I fix my mozilla problem?

markkuk
4th May 2006, 09:43 AM
Look for a file named "README" or "INSTALL" in the package, read it and follow the instructions.