PDA

View Full Version : no /build in file system

cwood06
4th May 2006, 12:12 AM
Hello everyone it seas m i cant install anything with out this /build on my system. I am a newb to linux and i cant seam to figure this out on how to get this /build on my system. Do i need to update my system? If so then ill need help getting my wired network working. Thanks

Brian1
4th May 2006, 12:17 AM
Not sure what you are talking about. Compile a program or something.
Anyways post exactly what you are doing and the errors you are getting.

Brian1

cwood06
4th May 2006, 12:50 AM
im trying to install diswrapper and other programs and it says no /build when it installs and i follow where it wants me to go and it isnt there.

Spoon!
4th May 2006, 01:02 AM
You're talking about /lib/modules/<kernel version>/build. Install the "kernel-devel" package for that.

Also, you can just "yum install kmod-ndiswrapper" from Livna.

Brian1
4th May 2006, 01:50 AM
Spoon has it. The readme files from ndiswrapper says it requires kernel source to compile which under FC* using the precompiled kernels rpms requires matching version kernel-devel.*.rpm. Note when you update the kernel from rpm agian make sure you get the kernel-devel for it and then you need to rebuild ndiswrapper for that kernel before it will work. If you use the one from livna then make sure get the one that matches the kernel version when you up date. Sounds like a pain but after a while you will get use to items like this.

Brian1

cwood06
4th May 2006, 03:16 AM
yae that seams to be it now to just fine the file matching my kernal which is 2.6.15 the one that came iwth the install dvd soo of a hunting i will go

cwood06
4th May 2006, 08:45 PM
ok i got the package but i got a error

[root@localhost fat32]# rpm -ivh kernel-smp-devel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.i686.rpm
warning: kernel-smp-devel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.i686.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2a6fd2
error: Failed dependencies:
/usr/sbin/hardlink is needed by kernel-smp-devel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.i686

what do i got to do to fix this?

Brian1
4th May 2006, 10:23 PM
Hardlink is an RPM that you not have installed. To check ' rpm -qa | grep hardlink* '.
A utility to hardlink duplicate files in a directory tree.

You may have it but it is not in /usr/sbin. It may be in /usr/bin. If it is then you can create a softlink as root ' ln -s /usr/bin/hardlink /usr/sbin/hardlink '.

Brian1

cwood06
4th May 2006, 10:49 PM
i could find it there i gues i need to install it so where can i get the package to install it?

Brian1
4th May 2006, 11:07 PM
Looks Dags has it. http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el4/en/i386/dag/RPMS/

Brian1

peters
4th May 2006, 11:15 PM
Concentrate on getting your YUM system fully functional if you haven't already. Then you can do the following.

[root@fedora ~]# yum whatprovides /usr/sbin/hardlink
<snip>
hardlink.i386 1:1.0-1.13 base
Matched from:
/usr/sbin/hardlink

hardlink.i386 1:1.0-1.13 installed
Matched from:
/usr/sbin/hardlink

Peter

cwood06
4th May 2006, 11:46 PM
i cant get it all up because i cant get onto the internet with Fedora. It doesnt like my ethernet even though it knows what it is. anyway i dled it and it said it installed but when i tryed to install the devel it said it wasnt there i even copyed it to usr sbin

Brian1
5th May 2006, 08:58 PM
For something as simply as this rpm which I believe only contains source code files, I would just extract the contents of the rpm and place where it is going to be according to the rpm install section.

Brian1