PDA

View Full Version : Problem with kernel 2.6.16-1.2107_FC5

anonymouse
3rd May 2006, 08:20 PM
I have just done a "yum update" on my Fedora Core 5 box and a new kernel - version 2.6.16-1.2107_FC5 - was installed. This doesn't seem to boot correctly on my machine. I get was far as udev running and X being started to display the boot sequence, but my system hangs with the "X" cursor as the only thing on screen. When running with the 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5 kernel, this quickly turns into the "pointer with swirly blue dots" cursor and booting continues.

When the machine hangs, there is apparently no disk activity. The machine is still alive as I can move the cursor, turn caps lock on and off, etc, but there is no further progress. The machine boots fine if I select the 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5 kernel from GRUB.

It is running on an AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 768MB RAM, 80GB hard disk, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440. Does anyone else have this problem?

Loki1950
3rd May 2006, 08:29 PM
anonymouse check the thread in General Support the general option is that we have a buggy kernel something in the framebuffer and me too.

Enjoy the Choice:)

anonymouse
3rd May 2006, 08:42 PM
anonymouse check the thread in General Support the general option is that we have a buggy kernel something in the framebuffer and me too.

Enjoy the Choice:)

Loki1950 - thanks for the pointer. Somehow I missed that thread when I looked earlier. It sounds like the problem I am having.

Cheers!

Fuyuka
3rd May 2006, 09:33 PM
I've seen this too.

Two seperate machines after the latest kernel.

If you stop the X-server (CNTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE), the machine will finish booting and come up with the
GDM page for logging in. Everything then runs correctly.

Fuyuka
3rd May 2006, 11:17 PM
An addition to my comment above. I had to revert from the 2017 kernel. On two seperate machines, using an
X windows program, the machines froze completely; it took a power cycle to regain control. Apparently
there's more broken than just booting up.

mihaimm
4th May 2006, 12:28 PM
Everything then runs correctly.
Not really... Apart from the boot-up problem, there is also one with Sun Java 1.4.2 + Tomcat 4.

Tomcat starts up, you can create requests to the 8080 port and if you hit a page that returns a directory listing you get it with no problems. But as soon as you hit something that needs compilation (like .jsp), the file gets compiled but there is no response comming back to your browser.

Reverted to previous kernel...

bob
4th May 2006, 01:43 PM
As I've done with several other threads, we've got a huge one going on this problem here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=107847 so I'm closing duplicates to make sure all the problems and solutions stay in one area. Also because I love playing with all these neat Community Manager options..... :D