PDA

View Full Version : Simple Nautilus questions

Al3xanR0
3rd May 2006, 08:13 PM
I am normally a KDE user although recently I have developed a slight affinity for Gnome. There are some features that in KDE, specifically Konqueror that I would like to use in Nautilus if possible. My question is simply this, how do I add a location or address field to Nautilus? I much rather type in the full path. Secondly, does Nautilus have the tabbed browsing feature if so how is it enabled? Tabbed browsing is obviously a very usefule feature, any explanation beyond that would be unecessarily redundant. I told you I am normally a KDE user. Thanks.

Al3xanR0
4th May 2006, 01:32 PM
Wow! I guess this question is not as simple as I thought.. Is there anyone who can at least point me in the right direction?

ACLBandit
4th May 2006, 01:36 PM
Well, you can't actually do it in nautilus as is. I'm not actually sure if it's nautilus anymore or not once you do it (I just did this last night, so I haven't messed with it much.)

To set up an address bar and browsing buttons (not sure about tabs, sorry), just bring up a nautilus window and click Edit -> Preferences then select the Behavior tab. Check the "always open in browser" button.

It worked fine for me last night. Good Luck!

Al3xanR0
4th May 2006, 05:17 PM
Well, you can't actually do it in nautilus as is. I'm not actually sure if it's nautilus anymore or not once you do it (I just did this last night, so I haven't messed with it much.)

To set up an address bar and browsing buttons (not sure about tabs, sorry), just bring up a nautilus window and click Edit -> Preferences then select the Behavior tab. Check the "always open in browser" button.

It worked fine for me last night. Good Luck!

thanks for pointing me into the right direction that works. Oh btw it is actually "always use text entry loacation bar" check box =)

bryancole
4th May 2006, 08:43 PM
you know that you don't need the text entry location bar visible to be able to type in your location, right? Just start typing the path and it appears.

There are no tabs as such, although if you want to be able to flick between two locations, you could add each to the Places menu in the sidebar.

... myself, I prefer spatial-mode file management.