PDA

View Full Version : how to init 3 and critical temperature?!?!

hiberphoptik
3rd May 2006, 05:53 PM
why doe my new machine always say "Critical temperature reached (0C) shutting down"

and then continue to boot????????

and

how do you boot into init 3 from grub with FC5???? in the past i would add init 3 to the end of the boot line in grub but on all 3 of my machines running FC5 they do a kernel panic when i try that, did something change???

jhetrick62
3rd May 2006, 05:59 PM
I haven't tried to boot directly into init 3 yet, but I used to do exactly that. I'd try another method such as opening a command line and enter "init 3" <enter>. I believe that should work.

Also, it sounds as though your computer bios is set to shutdown the system in the event you CPU reaches a particular temperature. Mine shutdown temp is setable in the system startup bios. Restart your machine and enter the system bios to adjust. ALTHOUGH, unless it is set unusually low, you have temperature problems in your box most probably. My box runs around 30 degrees Centigrade and I think I have it set to shutdown around 60 degrees centigrade. Never gets more than 1 or 2 degrees above 30 though!

Jeff

hiberphoptik
3rd May 2006, 06:03 PM
I haven't tried to boot directly into init 3 yet, but I used to do exactly that. I'd try another method such as opening a command line and enter "init 3" <enter>. I believe that should work.

Also, it sounds as though your computer bios is set to shutdown the system in the event you CPU reaches a particular temperature. Mine shutdown temp is setable in the system startup bios. Restart your machine and enter the system bios to adjust. ALTHOUGH, unless it is set unusually low, you have temperature problems in your box most probably. My box runs around 30 degrees Centigrade and I think I have it set to shutdown around 60 degrees centigrade. Never gets more than 1 or 2 degrees above 30 though!

Jeff

interesting.. ill check the bios and see what its set at. it sfunny because i get this message every time i boot so the machine cant be that hot :)

i can init 3 from a command line, but if i want to boot directly into init 3 its kernel panic time. when i upgrade my nvidia drivers i just have to let it boot to init 5 and error out then init 3 to reinstall them its a pain but i guess ill deal with it