PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core 5 crashes/hangs

bibbi
3rd May 2006, 03:59 PM
Hi all,

Installed Fedora Core 5 from netinstall CD, kernel 2054. Updated to kernel 2.6.16-1.2096

on the following machine:

--------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3500

Motherboard: MSI 7093: RS480M2-IL
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/...odel=RS480M2-IL

Onboard video/audio:
ATI Radeon® XPRESS 200 Chipset
ATI ® SB400 Chipset

Compliance with AC97' v2.3 Spec

Monitor:
Iiyama Prolite E234s

Western Digital 250Gb S-Ata disk
--------------------------------------------------------------

this is a dualboot system, with WIndows XP on another harddisc. Windows is not affected.

Updated rest of the software using Software updtater. Problem occured with original install and with fully updated system.

The problem I'm having is that the system crashes for no apparent reason. I can't determine if it's related to a certain application. The crash will occur from anywhere between 2 minutes and 2 hours after logging in, in both the user and the root account and both using Gnome and KDE.
When a crash occurs, the screen will go white, often with vertical lines and most of the time a blockshape where the mouse pointer was at the time of the crash. It is not just the screen which is affected: when i'm playing music and the crash occurs, the music also stops.

Later I also installed Xubuntu linux on another harddisc and this ditribution showed the same crash!

I tried to check the system log/messages in Fedora, but wasn't able to find anything in particular. But I also don't know what to look for exactly.

My first thought a problem with display drivers. Read on livna.org that there are problems with ATI drivers at the moment. Although the problem seems to differ from mine.

Has anybody had similar experiences? Can anyone point to where to look for clues/answers/help/solutions?

Memtest had 2 successful passes with standard test set.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

yongtin
3rd May 2006, 04:36 PM
Since you said you've install kubuntu and the same thing occur, it sounds like the problem is not fedora specific. Could it be a hardware issue?

I've had a failed disk plus a bad cpu (overheated) a while back installing RH9. The combination of failed hardware will shut down its power and causes my system to crash.

Next time when it crashes, can you try to ping the machine to see if the linux kernel still alive?

bibbi
3rd May 2006, 05:37 PM
Right, it seems to be a hardware problem, more than being related directly to Fedora.
But what log in Fedora could provide a clue to what goes wrong?