PDA

View Full Version : New FC5 kernel won't boot.

tgoose
3rd May 2006, 02:46 PM
I installed FC5 from CD using the /home dir from FC4. Everything worked fine until I updated to the 2.6.16-1.2107_FC5 kernel. Trying to boot to that starts udev, then where it would be expected to run graphically it just stops, with an X cursor that can be moved. I've left it for long periods of time in case it was just being slow, but nothing happens. I've tried changing the options to noacpi because... well, someone else did :) and that did exactly the same thing. The old kernel (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5) still works perfectly and I'm posting from that now. I've searched around these forums and found no other problems quite the same, so does anyone have any ideas? In fact, where do I find a log to post since presumably that would be more useful?

Thank you.

mikefreeman
3rd May 2006, 03:16 PM
I'm no expert however I would start by editing /etc/inittab thus:

id:3:initdefault:

So you boot to a command line from which you have more control. It sounds like an X problem so startx and if it hangs Ctrl-Alt-Backspace out of it and check the error messge.

tgoose
3rd May 2006, 04:11 PM
That boots fine. I suppose it doesn't really matter then, since it's barely any inconvenience now.

erlend_oyen
3rd May 2006, 05:02 PM
I have the same problem, but a can boot with the old kernel. Have somone found a solution to this problem?

lurp
3rd May 2006, 05:05 PM
same problem here!

no booting with new kernel. the old one works still fine.

steve1961
3rd May 2006, 05:06 PM
I have the same problem, but a can boot with the old kernel. Have somone found a solution to this problem?

Yep, same problem here. Upgraded to the 2017 kernel and it just hangs whilst booting. ctrl-alt-backspace kicks it into verbose mode and it finally boots, but I can't get an internet connection, even though ifconfig shows that I have an ip address. So I tried booting with teh older kernel and everything works fine again. Looks like this kernel is buggy.

southerncross
3rd May 2006, 05:49 PM
Same problem. I did what was explained (editing the /etc/inittab to boot the system on runlevel 3) and the system did boot "perfectly" although I had to log in command line mode.

It seems to be a problem with the handling of the framebuffer by the new kernel. I hope it will be fixed in a matter of days...

tgoose
3rd May 2006, 06:46 PM
It couldn't happen to be the same problem that stops VLC from working, could it? I don't know if it worked on the old kernel for me either...

r1348
3rd May 2006, 06:54 PM
I also sign in the club of the non-booting guys. On x86_64 here.
Kernel 2107 hangs when starting X, or if I remove rhgb from the boot line, it hangs when starting smartd.
Looks like there's something terribly broken with this last kernel...

Whitewater
3rd May 2006, 08:10 PM
I had the same problem and did a dumb thing by removing the old kernel before testing the new one. DON'T REMOVE the old kernel. I had to download the old kernel and use rpm --install --force *rpm to install the old kernel so that I could boot into RunLevel 5.

jbannon
3rd May 2006, 08:53 PM
I have it too. I managed to get it to boot by editing grub.conf & removing the rhgb flag (after copying grub.conf to grub.conf.old naturally). It boots fine on my machine (x86 with an Intel chipset & ATI 9700 Pro graphics) with no apparent problems so far. Since others are reporting the same problem I'll leave the old kernel in as an option for now. I do a test boot with every new kernel as a matter of course anyway before removing the old one using yumex.

tgoose
3rd May 2006, 08:57 PM
So apart from the actual boot process itself, it goes straight into graphical mode? Excellent.

sej7278
3rd May 2006, 08:57 PM
have they not released an smp version yet, as i just yum updated and didnt get the new kernel - thank heavens!

bbfuller
3rd May 2006, 08:59 PM
I have the same problen here with an:
Athlon X86_64 on an
MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard
using the X86_64 distribution.
Only here it gets to determining ip information for eth0 and then hangs endlessly. Interestingly if I deactivate the network card and then reboot it hangs at starting CUPS.
I don't think I'll try updating my 32bit machines for a while!

jbannon
3rd May 2006, 09:04 PM
So apart from the actual boot process itself, it goes straight into graphical mode? Excellent.

Sits for a second or two at the console login prompt and then it launches the display manager. All my services start OK with no problems. I figured it might be a problem with the graphical boot because it wouldn't even start interactive mode when I typed "i" on startup and it usually starts this before anything else.

kmb
3rd May 2006, 09:08 PM
have they not released an smp version yet, as i just yum updated and didnt get the new kernel - thank heavens!
Hi,
I have the 2107smp kernel and it seems to be working ok so far.

Regards,
Kevin

Danny
3rd May 2006, 09:29 PM
I also have the 32 bit 2107 smp kernel. The graphic boot problem was fixed as described above, but I encountered a wierd networking issue. I could ping local machines and remote sites, but I couldn't browse to them.

I've gone back to the last kernel and all is fine with it.

sdwr98
3rd May 2006, 09:51 PM
Me too - no booting with rhgb, and when I took that out, no network. Using 2107smp.

u-noneinc-s
3rd May 2006, 10:49 PM
I think some other problems might pop up as you use the new kernel. I updated a bunch of stuff including the kernel and
Thunderbird. My friend said the kernel was broken, and the tbird update broke tbird. After booting into the old kernel, tbird
would not display images anymore.
I booted the old kernel and thunderbird was fine. I read this thread and with the cont alt bs I booted the new kernel and
now there are no images displayed in thunderbird. I booted back to the old kernel and thunderbird is fine once again.

I'll stick with the 2096 and in the future, I think I'm going to DL and install the kernels (and not let yum remove the "extra"
old one.

tgoose
3rd May 2006, 11:01 PM
Another thing, Gnump3d (a streaming media server) barely works at all in this; it will only let a very small number of directories be viewed. For one of the directories it couldn't view, nautilus couldn't work out the permissions, either...

Reiver Fluffi
3rd May 2006, 11:02 PM
Yip, 2107 Broken for me as well!

Fuyuka
3rd May 2006, 11:14 PM
I had to remove the 2107 kernel. Two machines, using an X-windows program, totally froze. Had to physically
remove power to regain control. There seems to be more broken than just the strange booting up problem.

agrippas
3rd May 2006, 11:25 PM
Well since a lot of people experience problems, it looks like the new kernel is messy. To me:

- Doesn't boot with the rhgb option in grub.conf
- After Suspend and wake-up, the mouse is dead and doesn't get fixed even when restarting the X-server. Needs reboot.
- Doesn't reboot (hangs at "Please standby while rebooting your system")

I'd expect a new bug-free release asap from the fedora guys.

Seve
3rd May 2006, 11:48 PM
I also have the 32 bit 2107 smp kernel. The graphic boot problem was fixed as described above, but I encountered a wierd networking issue. I could ping local machines and remote sites, but I couldn't browse to them.

I've gone back to the last kernel and all is fine with it.
Have exactly the same problem with the new SMP kernel...
Goin back.
Seve

fhubers
3rd May 2006, 11:49 PM
Looks like this is picked up by the Fedora bugzilla - check out https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=190575

pparks1
4th May 2006, 01:25 AM
same problem here, I was following the stanton finley guide and was just building my machine and I got the new kernel when it grabbed the nvidia driver from Livna.

spence
4th May 2006, 01:43 AM
Same problem here. New kernel does not boot on 2 PCs.

One is using SMP kernel and the other the regular kernel. Both have the same issue. Comes to a graphical display and you just get the "X" cursor. Stops there.

Works fine booting from the old kernel version.

breneez
4th May 2006, 01:47 AM
I was trying to reload my nvidia packages from livna and I got this bad kernel along with it. Luckily I still have 2070. I have the same bizarre ping behavior mentioned above.

pparks1
4th May 2006, 03:28 AM
As others have noted, I've managed to get rid of the problem and continue running the 2107 kernel by removing the rhgb quiet line from /etc/grub.conf in the 2107 kernel line.

stanmc
4th May 2006, 03:31 AM
Updated kernel and nvidia from livna an hour ago. Booted perfectly (I had already removed rhgb from grub.conf) . The update caused no problems with my normal web surfing. However, when I went to logout and reboot it would not logout. I had to use Ctrl+Alt+F1 and then Ctrl+C.
-----edit-----
Forgot to mention it is smp version. Also, after a little patience I found that it does logout, but in exactly 120 seconds not 60. Everything seems to be working OK.

Zigzagcom
4th May 2006, 03:34 AM
What would Fedora be without at least one kernel upgrade bug. Y'all remember last year with FC4? Got to keep the tradition going, LOL.

breneez
4th May 2006, 03:43 AM
even without the rhgb quiet param in grub.conf I still lose all internet capabilities except ping.

pparks1
4th May 2006, 03:56 AM
still lose all internet capabilities except ping.
Hmmmm,,,,,I guess I am lucky because that is a problem that I am not having.

doublem9
4th May 2006, 04:24 AM
same problem here. question, how do i delete the old kernel?

breneez
4th May 2006, 04:31 AM
if 2107 is so new, why does Livna's kmod-nvidia require it already? I thought they generally lag behind new kernel releases?

bob
4th May 2006, 04:37 AM
I went back to the old kernel for the time being. That was working perfectly, but it will be interesting to see what happens when they fix the break with a new version - hopefully no problems as yum now removes the oldest kernel in the chain and that's the good one!

Kirov-sama
4th May 2006, 04:54 AM
same exact problem here. Just from this I increased the number of older packages that yum will keep. ;)

doublem9
4th May 2006, 04:56 AM
im gonna wait till way later then..just to be sure
for a linux newbie like me..not like i know the difference or notice it

pparks1
4th May 2006, 05:03 AM
Yeah, these types of problems are the reason that I modify /etc/yum.conf to include
exclude=kernel-*

This way, I control when I get my kernels and "if" I get my kernels. Typically, if I don't have a problem, I don't update it.

Qwagmire
4th May 2006, 05:14 AM
2107 seems to be working on my machine. I updated with yum, installed the kmod-nvidia driver from Livna, and rebooted. I'm running it on an old socket 478 with GeForce FX5500. Did the update about a couple hours ago...

Is it fixed already?

EDIT: Hmmm, wine doesn't seem to work with this kernel either. I uninstalled and reinstalled, and it just hangs and terminates

spence
4th May 2006, 06:27 AM
I went back to the old kernel for the time being. That was working perfectly, but it will be interesting to see what happens when they fix the break with a new version - hopefully no problems as yum now removes the oldest kernel in the chain and that's the good one!

Is there a setting somewhere to disable this behaviour? I would hate to lose my only confirmed booting kernel when the fix comes in.

Flak Pyro
4th May 2006, 07:09 AM
mine is broke too...pressing crtl alt backspace to kill X makes the boot resume, then after boot X starts normal and i log into KDE.

pigpen
4th May 2006, 09:43 AM
I had the same problem and did a dumb thing by removing the old kernel before testing the new one. DON'T REMOVE the old kernel. I had to download the old kernel and use rpm --install --force *rpm to install the old kernel so that I could boot into RunLevel 5.Wish I had read this post earlier! X still works but Apache can't be reached from localhost (but strangely enough from outside!). Well, this is not a production machine so I'll just wait for an update. :rolleyes:

ijzer666
4th May 2006, 10:32 AM
I have used fc1 - fc4 without much trouble, but fc5 is a disaster (for me).

When loading gdm there is about 50% change my fc5 system will halt. I have no idea what's causing this (see http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106378).

The last couple of days I have probably done more hard reboots than in my entire life.

After installing kernel 2107 my changes of booting all the way into gnome are even slimmer, as i am experiencing the same problem as other people in this thread. Btw, the ctrl-alt-backspace fix doesn't work for me. It falls back to text mode, but it doesn't resume booting...

Marvelous
4th May 2006, 01:31 PM
i dont have much knowledge on linux.. i am fairly new and still learning for the guys here.
but ctrl + alt + back space refreshed X and the boot went along fine but not in gui in the classic text method

elints
4th May 2006, 01:39 PM
I understand that this is a problem with the new kernel and the nVidia driver. I can't get the driver to uninstall under the old kernel. The error message indicates that the kernel was built without the uninstall option.
Anyone have any advice on how to proceed?

Seve
4th May 2006, 01:47 PM
Not sure why you want / need to uninstall it?
Did you use the livna rpm or the download from Nvidia in the orginal install?
Seve

rangerroy
4th May 2006, 01:53 PM
Really weird problem, I didn't have a problem booting the new kernel, but things were wacky network wise. For example Thunderbird could not contact the machine I was on. Tried it with the previous version of Thunderbird - no go, upgraded Thunderbird to the latest and greatest and still a no go. I boot back into the 2096 kernel and everything is fine. So me thinks a lot more was done on the security portion of this build than what is in the release notes. Which may explain why folks are having problems booting in rhgb mode with grub too. Really bizarre...

so for now, I'll stay at 2096..

Just thought I would report the above and see if anyone else noticed anything similar...

rangerroy

elints
4th May 2006, 01:58 PM
Not sure why you want / need to uninstall it?
Did you use the livna rpm or the download from Nvidia in the orginal install?
Seve

It was installed from the livna rpm. Apparently the new kernel won't accept the install in the old kernel. I was trying to remove the driver then boot into the new one and install the one downloaded from nVidia.

smm1325
4th May 2006, 03:09 PM
I've had a similar problem with the new kernel. My system will boot into runlevel 3, and then when I try entering my username and password, it will hang and wait until it finally just returns the login prompt. Same thing happens if I try logging in as root. Very strange bugs happening with this kernel, I take it.

Shawn

JenFord
4th May 2006, 03:17 PM
I have the same result with the new kernel. Follow the instructions in this thread to remove the rhgb from the startup of the kernel and you can get the new kernel to boot. I have not seen any other issues as reported here... everything else appears to be working well.

StephenH
4th May 2006, 05:28 PM
I have to join the crowd of those who experienced problems. On my laptop, after reading previous comments, I was able to get it to boot after hitting CTRL/ALT/Backspace. I haven't tried it on my main system yet. The laptop has ATI graphics (running stock), but the desktop has Nvidia with Livna kernel-mod.

Well, here's to seeing if the same method will work on it too.......

Stephen

StephenH
4th May 2006, 05:33 PM
It worked by removing rhgb on my desktop system. Time will tell if it works with other things, or if other things are broken as well.

Stephen

steve1961
4th May 2006, 05:44 PM
It worked by removing rhgb on my desktop system. Time will tell if it works with other things, or if other things are broken as well.

Stephen

Internet connection also seems to be a problem with nforce boards. Easiest solution is to just wait for the fix - they're usually very quick - and in the meantime revert to the old kernel.

wwestlake
4th May 2006, 06:12 PM
I have an old AMD Thunderbird 1.1GHz on an old Abit Mobo with an older ATI Radeon 9200 that was a fresh brand new clean install of FC 5 and happened on this new kernel with the first yum upgrade just post install so it's not NVIDIA specific.

Wayne

fieska
4th May 2006, 06:20 PM
Same for me on a 32 bits machine, will try to edit the grub.conf file, thanks :)

breneez
4th May 2006, 07:09 PM
The thread for the bug on redhat's site mentions build 2108, anyone had to chance to see if the network problems still exist in this build?

rantanplan
4th May 2006, 07:27 PM
Switched back to kernel 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5.
I had problems with privoxy and firefox. Privoxy on localhost as web-filter.
Printer didn't work HP Deskjet 660 relys on hpdij service which obviously didn't work too.
Now all problems gone and all is like before. Didn't need to change any configuration cos all was ok before kernel update.

Bad things happen.

SHtRO
4th May 2006, 08:30 PM
I have NVIDIA but don't think it's an NVIDIA problem. Seems to be network related and affects things likes FreeCiv which refuses to start a game (never pops up a window). Not getting clear "errors" in the logs, either, just overall flakiness.

I'm reverting to the old kernel (2096) until all this is sorted out.

lvanek
4th May 2006, 08:41 PM
per Dave Jones (Fedora-list) this is a "horribly broken kernel" and is being pulled from updates now.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-May/msg00795.html

name_user
4th May 2006, 09:00 PM
I could not help to ask how could that happen? Did the developers ever test it before release? It appears the kernel was pulled off from update this morning, since when I yumex, I did not see the new kernel, but kmod-ndiswrapper. I failed to update because of missing kernel.

This afternoon, I saw the kernel was back on the update server again. I thought problem had been solved, and updated. Unfortunately, I got the same problem as posted by others earlier.

angro
4th May 2006, 09:29 PM
Hi,

just tried the 2108 from dave links, same result

seems a 2109 is in the make, lets wait and try again.

Mainwhile thanks for some of the options I missed and found in the whole thread, like kernel exclude etc....

brunson
4th May 2006, 10:10 PM
There was a bad patch relating to Xen in that build, which broke a lot of stuff, including networking for many people. Dave Jones (kernel dev at RH) has requested that it be pulled from updates, he's working on a 2109 build as of about 11:30 this morning. Look for it in the repos RSN.

In the mean time, boot your old kernel. You probably want to manually remove the 2107 kernel (yum remove kernel-2.6.16-1.2107_FC5) before doing a yum update, as the installonlyn will remove your old working kernel in preference of keeping 2107 and the newest one. Hopefully the newest one will work, but you could end up with no bootable kernel.

breneez
4th May 2006, 11:51 PM
2109 seems to work for me. But no kmod-nvidia for 2109 yet, what should I do? Is it worth attempting to force the 2107 rpms with nodeps?

dehavik
5th May 2006, 12:29 AM
you can count me in on the nonworking new kernel parade. my 2096 boots fine but now my wireless card no longer works! fc5 is really becoming a struggle for me. hope to see a fix soon. cheers to dave for jumping in to start the fix! these are the people that make linux worth it.....for the community.

breneez
5th May 2006, 12:51 AM
I got 2109 off davej at about 6:30 EST. My only complaint now is that there's no matching kmod-nvidia. The one on livna requires 2107.

dayeliu
5th May 2006, 01:57 AM
How to make yum not removing the older version? Thanks.

dehavik
5th May 2006, 02:00 AM
my wireless and everything else appears to be working fine after reboot into 2107 and ctrl alt backspace at the freeze. :rolleyes:

i also started a post regarding dayeliu's question:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108094

it seems you should be able to edit yum.conf to retain kernels somehow.
thanks bob for the temp. fix.

bob
5th May 2006, 02:01 AM
Dayeliu, you might do 'yum --exclude=kernel update' to update everything but the kernel and then download the kernel from one of the mirror sites and use 'rpm -ivh kernel(whatever)' .

bob
5th May 2006, 02:51 AM
Actually, Kirov-sama's got an excellent suggestion here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=521504#post521504

Seve
5th May 2006, 03:00 AM
Actually, Kirov-sama's got an excellent suggestion here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=521504#post521504
Uda man bob .... that is an A1 suggestion. :)
Thanks
Seve

techmum
5th May 2006, 05:34 AM
It couldn't happen to be the same problem that stops VLC from working, could it? I don't know if it worked on the old kernel for me either...

I found VLC was pretty good on FC4. Played most things.

However I've installed VLC on about 4 different machines with FC5, and haven't got it to work at all. Haven't spent too much time, but it looks like its either broke, or requires hand configuration.

Finalzone
5th May 2006, 06:05 AM
I got 2109 off davej at about 6:30 EST. My only complaint now is that there's no matching kmod-nvidia. The one on livna requires 2107.

Patience. You cannot expect to instantly get kmod-nvidia update just after a fresh kernel is rebuilt. It has to be tested first.

Qwagmire
5th May 2006, 07:03 AM
I agree^^

I can live with 2096 for awhile. 2107 was such a headache, that I gave up and just removed it altogether....

jamesjpn
5th May 2006, 10:10 AM
Same problem here with the new 2107 kernel. Glad not to be alone :-) Hoping for an answer or another kernel update. Till then it's 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5smp for me.

breneez
5th May 2006, 12:03 PM
Patience. You cannot expect to instantly get kmod-nvidia update just after a fresh kernel is rebuilt. It has to be tested first.

My point exactly. So why was there a kmod-nvidia for 2107? I don't update much, but it seemed pretty fresh.

bart3005
5th May 2006, 12:23 PM
Yes same problem here on FC5 kernel-2.6.16-1.2096_FC5 works fine and kernel-2.6.16-1.2107_FC5 hangs at the point that X starts just after udev is started.

tgoose
5th May 2006, 12:45 PM
I found VLC was pretty good on FC4. Played most things.

However I've installed VLC on about 4 different machines with FC5, and haven't got it to work at all. Haven't spent too much time, but it looks like its either broke, or requires hand configuration.
I've found the solution (for me, anyway). In the ALSA (or whichever) output, you need to manually set the device name instead of leaving it as Default. Worked for me :)

byhisdeeds
5th May 2006, 01:52 PM
I just updated to the 2.6.16-1.2107_FC5 kernel from the 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5 kernel and now my httpd, and tomcat servers can't get any connections. They all show LISTENING with netstat but when you try and connect from a browser either you get a connection refused message or the connection hangs and there is no error message in the httpd logs. In fact the log shows that the file was returned.

It took me a while to figure that it was the kernel update but simply booting the last one via grub solves the problem.
The internet connection works though, I can browse the web.

martyfelker
5th May 2006, 03:23 PM
Probably like every other experience the new 2107 kernel didn't boot for me either. Lucky for me I saved the 2096 core - that still works - and so do the other recent upgrades. I was suspicious of the new kernel as yumex reported at first "No more mirrors available" when I woke up this morning after upgrading overnight - and the reported file size was only 14MB anyway. This morning the kernel doesn't appear in Updates. Obviously we haave to wait for the developers to tweak whatever. No problem for me at least.

stregit
5th May 2006, 04:02 PM
I modified the kernel arguments before booting by deleting the"rhgb" before "quiet" and got my desktop back. Otherwise I was experiencing the same hangup as everyone else on this thread. Thanks for the tip, jbannon.

Flounder
5th May 2006, 05:41 PM
Quick question how do we remove specific kernel versions through yum haven't gone about this before.

angro
5th May 2006, 05:59 PM
Quick question how do we remove specific kernel versions through yum haven't gone about this before.

see http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=521322&postcount=63 (this is next page of this thread)

grtz

angro
5th May 2006, 06:05 PM
seems 2111 ( http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC5/RPMS.kernel/ ) works, just installed and rebooted, haven't tried all items, no prob with video card, networkin, thunderbirding, firefoxing.

Have to get ntfs patch for old system drives and driverloader for wireless.

jbannon
5th May 2006, 07:49 PM
I modified the kernel arguments before booting by deleting the"rhgb" before "quiet" and got my desktop back. Otherwise I was experiencing the same hangup as everyone else on this thread. Thanks for the tip, jbannon.

Alternatively you can just remove the Red Hat graphical boot (yum erase rhgb will do it). I actually prefer it this way because I can see what's going on on restart without having to do anything so that's what I'm going to do.

jbannon
6th May 2006, 12:59 AM
seems 2111 ( http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC5/RPMS.kernel/ ) works, just installed and rebooted, haven't tried all items, no prob with video card, networkin, thunderbirding, firefoxing.

Have to get ntfs patch for old system drives and driverloader for wireless.

Yep, I've just updated to it and it apparently works fine on my system.

btfans
6th May 2006, 01:40 AM
I install FC5 and play 10-20 boot, all ok.
Suddenly yesterday I only reach a 'X' movable cursor and dark scrren after udev is [OK], I wait for
30mins, then the login screen come up?

Anyone can advise how to fix this annoying problem ?

I modified the kernel arguments before booting by deleting the"rhgb" before "quiet" and got my desktop back.

is the quickest solution ? I will try later ...

jbannon
6th May 2006, 02:42 AM
I install FC5 and play 10-20 boot, all ok.
Suddenly yesterday I only reach a 'X' movable cursor and dark scrren after udev is [OK], I wait for
30mins, then the login screen come up?

Anyone can advise how to fix this annoying problem ?

is the quickest solution ? I will try later ...

Rather than do this, remove the offending kernel and then install 2111 as it's now in the updates. This definitely works without the hassle.

epkphoto
6th May 2006, 05:09 AM
Yes, the 2111 kernel works for me as well. Note, that you may need to download the proper rpm from http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/ while the update propogates to all the update mirrors. It should be showing up regularly to all users of yum soon, though.

u-noneinc-s
6th May 2006, 05:19 AM
I don't know what update "broke" my Firefox-flash plugin, but I recently lost sound on flash. I wan't looking forward to
uninstalling various versions of Firefox and Flash til I find the righ combo (That's what I had to do with FC3 when I lost
sound with flash). Fortunately, I yum'd 2111 today, and flash is back. Coincidence? Maybe, then again maybe not.

Qwagmire
6th May 2006, 05:44 AM
I got 2111 today, now just waiting for livna to put out the nvidia driver before I run it...

That was a decent turnaround between the buggy kernel and the new one. :)

ppesci
6th May 2006, 10:22 AM
I installed the laast kernel version and appear to be fully functional.

Thanks to Fedora ppl. This distro is **really** good for me. The best I tested so far, and using as my Desktop production OS in a Powerbook G4. :)

Pietro Pesci Feltri

egurski
6th May 2006, 01:38 PM
Wel I just installed the 2011 kernel pn my test machine (i686) -- the repositries are updated now.

The first thing I noticed was that the bad kernel was removed and the 2096 kernel was kept.

The test machine ran flawlessly, so I upgrade my AMD64 --- again no problems.

I have now updated all my systems (5) without any problems.

I applaud the Fedora team for resolving this issue so quickly....

Ed

steve1961
6th May 2006, 05:38 PM
Just updated to 2111 and can confirm that this one seems to work as it should. Livna now have the nvidia kernel module as well, although it hasn't hit all the mirrors yet so I downloaded it manually from http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/5/i386/ Great work by the developers for sorting this out so quickly.

bbfuller
6th May 2006, 06:31 PM
Confirm that 2111 seems to have solved all the problems created by 2107.

Special thanks to Livna for following the release so quickly with the nvidia modules.

stanmc
6th May 2006, 08:35 PM
Kudos to the Fedora and Livna teams. Works well. I now have 2096, 2107 and 2111. Obviously 2107 won't be used again.

tgoose
6th May 2006, 11:40 PM
Yep, banished 2107 to the depths and 2111 looks fine :)

Cody
7th May 2006, 01:02 PM
Any clue as to how/why this somewhat broken kernel got out to the masses?

Cody

bob
7th May 2006, 02:10 PM
S*** happens. And, since we have a new kernel and other topics to work on, Thread Closed