PDA

View Full Version : amaroK won't play live radio streams!

shawnrgr
3rd May 2006, 02:17 PM
When i try to play a radio stream with amaroK, it says connecting to stream at the bottom left of the playlist window then goes away and nothing happens... Any ideas?

grndplane
3rd May 2006, 02:22 PM
I have no idea. My Amarok is playing a stream right now.

shawnrgr
4th May 2006, 11:27 AM
Anyone with any ideas on what could be causing this?

grndplane
4th May 2006, 02:01 PM
I take it that Amarok plays mp3's fine for you, but not radio play lists (pls). Try to go to your browser and in the options where it says actions for file types.
Add the type (pls) without the () , then set the action to other and type in Amarok. Check the box pass url directly to application. See what happens. I am using Gstreamer for the Amarok engine. Good luck.

Vlok
4th May 2006, 06:49 PM
I have the same problem, can it be solved? (=

shawnrgr
4th May 2006, 10:48 PM
I take it that Amarok plays mp3's fine for you, but not radio play lists (pls). Try to go to your browser and in the options where it says actions for file types.
Add the type (pls) without the () , then set the action to other and type in Amarok. Check the box pass url directly to application. See what happens. I am using Gstreamer for the Amarok engine. Good luck.

firefox doesn't give me the option to add actions. which seems strange. edit>prefs>downloads>view & edit actions. Im guessing thats the right spot. Is there another way to add actions?

taltonho
5th May 2006, 04:57 AM
I have the same problem. In fact, amarok behaves the same way trying to access mp3s via samba from my networked WinXP machine, but plays local mp3s fine. Any solution? The FC4 amarok streamed mp3s across the network fine.

scotta3234
5th May 2006, 06:18 AM
Hmm... count yet another person in with this problem. I wasn't going to start a post because i hadn't messed around with it enough (because ryhthembox plays them just fine) but I like the look and feel of Amarok so if anybody figures this out let me know. I've tried removing and reinstalling.

grndplane
5th May 2006, 01:39 PM
I am still running core 4. I was to lazy to configure core 5 since I have everything working fine now. My browser is Opera, and it can be configured.

Vlok
5th May 2006, 02:58 PM
I don't think that problem is connected with browser anyway. It's amarok internal problem. I can add radio stations but i can't play them.

CodyJarrett
5th May 2006, 03:43 PM
doesn't work for me either :confused:

grndplane
5th May 2006, 03:45 PM
Could it be that a port on your firewall or router is closed and preventing Amarok from connecting?

taltonho
5th May 2006, 05:51 PM
I can transfer files from my networked WinXP machine to the Linux machine running FC5 just fine. I can then open and run them locally in amarok. I can browse to the winxp machine and the mp3 files are listed in the file list on the left side of the amarok screen. When I load one of these, or any of the radio streams, all I get is "connecting to stream source" on the lower left of the screen for a short while then nothing. Rhythmbox is able to play all of my mp3 files over the network. I suspect a problem in amarok, KDE, or FC5. I'd like to remove the beta amarok and replace it with the older version which ran fine, but I don't seem to be able to find an old amarok rpm to install. I am surprised this problem isn't all over the forums. I tried turning off firewall, eetc, removing the amarok /home/.kde files, etc. No good. Any insight appreciated.

scotta3234
6th May 2006, 12:10 AM
Well, still no luck with this although i think im getting some more information from the amarok forums. Seems to be problems with gstreamer engine, other clame the xmms and xine engine work. Here you can download beta2: http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/5/i386/
might just switch to beta2 if everything works

taltonho
6th May 2006, 06:57 PM
I tried disabling both window's firewall on one machine and Linux firewall on the other, no effect.

taltonho
7th May 2006, 03:14 AM
Solved the issue in amarok not playing samba shares. Had to change the gstreamer engine to the xine by installing the xine package and also amarok-extras-nonfree.i386 1.4-0.3.beta3.lvn5 available from ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/livna/fedora/5/i386/. Can now browse to networked winxp box and play mp3s. Still not up to speed on radio streams as of yet.

Vlok
7th May 2006, 03:07 PM
I am using beta3 and having the same problem.
I have no firewall enabled. Tried to reinstall gstreamer - no effect.

jdogzilla
11th May 2006, 05:09 AM
Anybody have a solution to this ... amarok is still not playing radio streams or podcasts for me

scotta3234
11th May 2006, 05:15 AM
Hmm... so switching back to beta2 didn't work? This is really dissapointing that so many people are having this problem... hopefully somebody can chime in here and suggest something else.

PseudoNym
11th May 2006, 06:33 PM
I've had issues with amarok in FC5 as well. To be able to play music files located in a shared directory on an XP box I have had to mount the share in the /mnt/ directory. I'm still new to linux and am point and click type user .. so to mount the samba share I ended up using smb4k to mount the share (note I had to be running smb4k as root to get the smb share to mount in the /mnt/ directoy). Still, if I reboot the system the samba share is finiky about mounting .. sometimes it will sometimes it wont. Using Xine as the engine also solved the problem of amarok not playing streams off the net.

At this point the problem I am having with amarok is the "Global Shorcuts" have stopped working when using the default settings win+whatever key. Anyone else run into this problem with the global shortcuts and if so have a solution?

PseudoNym
11th May 2006, 07:25 PM
Well, I found a solution to the Win key not working for the default global shortcuts ... In case anyone else runs into the same problem here is what I had to do to fix it.

open /etc/X11/Xmodmap and add the following line:

mod4 = Super_L

sej7278
12th May 2006, 09:05 AM
add another "it dunt work boss" for me, fc5.

could it be a gstreamer issue?

Vlok
12th May 2006, 11:21 AM
I think that it is gstreamer issue, because

Using Xine as the engine also solved the problem of amarok not playing streams off the net.

But what can be done with gstreamer to solve the problem i don't know.

I've tryed to use xine myself - no effect, so it is amarok's problem :)

scotta3234
21st May 2006, 04:55 AM
Alright so this is still troubling me. A few have suggested using the xine engine but even when i install the xine libraries amarok still doesn't give me the option to use the xine engine. Perhaps I need a little further clarification.

grndplane
21st May 2006, 02:01 PM
Try xinetd I think its at dries or livna. After I used Yumex to get it I had the Xine engine choice in Amarok. Yes it has been more stable and also has a little better sound.

scotta3234
21st May 2006, 05:18 PM
that didn't work. The description of that package didn't seem like it was the right one either.

scotta3234
21st May 2006, 05:22 PM
Alright well i fixed that by downloading amarok-extras-nonfree from livna and now the xine engine appears. let's see if this works!!!

scotta3234
21st May 2006, 05:31 PM
[SOLVED] Definitely worked if you install the xine libraries and the amarok-extras-nonfree rpm from livna. That way you'll be able to use the xine engine in amarok. Sound quality is perfect. Ahh... the sweet sound of success.

grndplane
22nd May 2006, 08:55 PM
I did install those packages, but I thought it was the xinetd that did it. Oh well I guess when in doubt, get it all. Glad it worked.

spiderx
3rd July 2006, 11:24 PM
I tried all of the above but still doesn't work :confused:

ordinary
7th December 2006, 07:00 PM
I was having this same problem, did a search and found this thread. I don't know if anyone is still having this problem, but for the record, I found the solution at http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Samba.