PDA

View Full Version : Large File Transfers Crash My Linux PC

AJH
2nd May 2006, 09:31 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum and reasonably new to Fedora Core Linux ... running 5.0. I am only using the installation as a file server at the present time. My main WinXP computer requires file back up on a regular basis ... creating file size about 10.0GB. If I split the job into 5 2GB files I can get everything backed up without a hitch ... but if I try to back up the whole file of 10GB, the Linux machine crashes. Would anyone be able to tell me what is going amiss, afoul and awry with my computer???? I plan on backing up VERY large files of digital music on the Linux machine ... 2-4GB is not out of line. PS: If I'm asking this question in the wrong place, please guide me to the proper one. Thanks for your help.

Firewing1
2nd May 2006, 09:35 PM
That filesystem are you using? I know ext3 handles big files very well, infact I've dealt with 10GB images, too with no problem.
Firewing1

AJH
2nd May 2006, 09:40 PM
I am using ext3 ... I have 380 GB of drive space available. IF you are confirming that the Fedora COre S/W can handle Large (ove 10GB) files, then I will look at a heat - hardware problem. I have another server running WinXP with no problems with the transfers and I want to convert that machine to Fedora Core, too, but I must solve the transfer problem first!!!

Firewing1
3rd May 2006, 04:01 AM
Yes - I'd run a memtest, too. I indeed am conforming that it works. In fact, if you look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EXT3
You'll find the max size for ext3 is 2TB - 10GB should really be no issue. Have you checked
dmesg
for (I/O) errors?
Firewing1