PDA

View Full Version : Updated udev stalls FC4 startup

daihard
1st May 2006, 10:13 PM
Hi.

I am wondering if this is just me. I have FC4 running on a Dell Precision Workstation 450 (Xeon 2.4 GHz x 2). The kernel is 2.6.16_2096_FC4smp. I installed it last Saturday. Everything worked perfectly well until I rebooted the computer this morning. The "udev" process completely stalled the startup process!

Since the only change between the last and this reboots was "yum update," I suspected the updated version of udev (udev-071-0) might be the culprit. I booted into the rescue mode, grabbed the original version of udev (udev-058-1), and installed it over the new version (i.e. overwrote it). This fixed the problem.

Has any of you run into this problem using FC4 (or any FC, for that matter)? I had FC4 at home until a month ago, but I don't think I had this issue there although the udev update was released back in February.

TIA!
Dai

dshaw256
1st May 2006, 10:58 PM
I'm running FC4 with the 2.6.11 kernel (it's the only recent vintage that supports my winmodem). I ran yum update this morning and received the 2.6.16-1.2096_FC4 kernel, but haven't tried it out yet. I'm assuming that my udev is at the same release level as yours given how recently I ran yum update. Absolutely no issues with 2.6.11. Could be an interaction with the new kernel. Can you boot to an older version and see if it happens there? That is, if you still want to fool with it.

dshaw256
1st May 2006, 11:12 PM
Nope. Just booted into 2.6.16-1.2096_FC4 and it came right up, no problems. udev version is udev-071-0.FC4.3.

daihard
2nd May 2006, 07:55 AM
I'm running FC4 with the 2.6.11 kernel (it's the only recent vintage that supports my winmodem). I ran yum update this morning and received the 2.6.16-1.2096_FC4 kernel, but haven't tried it out yet. I'm assuming that my udev is at the same release level as yours given how recently I ran yum update. Absolutely no issues with 2.6.11. Could be an interaction with the new kernel. Can you boot to an older version and see if it happens there? That is, if you still want to fool with it.
Thanks, I may give that a shot when I have the time. In the worst case scenario, I now know how to recover from the fiasco. :D