PDA

View Full Version : Viewing LVM on "different" system?

the poi
1st May 2006, 09:25 PM
I currently have a 3 drive LVM group for / on my backup server. I need more space and redundancy though, so I'm thinking about doing a fresh 4 drive software raid5 install of FC5. Is there a way to set the LVM group back up on the new install so I can copy over all the old data?

tashirosgt
2nd May 2006, 03:47 AM
There are few LVM experts on the forum and I don't claim to be one. But one thing I would suggest is that you name the volume group on you new installation something different than the one on the old disks. (In the LVM partitioning if you check the option to review the scheme, you can change the name.) I think this will save many headaches. If you took the default, VolGroup00 for the old disks, don't cause a conflict by naming the new one the same thing. As to naming the logical volumes within the new group, I don't know if a name collision is a danger

the poi
2nd May 2006, 05:13 PM
That sounds reasonable.

Also, looks like I omitted some details, so let me clarify--I'll be adding the new RAID array in addition to these drives--Ideally, I'd just unplug the current three drives containg the LVM, start from a scratch install on the RAID array, and then add in the drives contating the LVM. I'm mostly a newbie, but it seems like I could use the existing configuration files (if I saved them form the current configuration), add the data to the new files, and change the hardware addresses to match. Of course, I don't know the details of that nor do I know if that would even work at all :)

edit:// Actuallly, at this point I'm reconsidering the whole process. Don't waste your time replying yet, I may end up doing something entirely different!