PDA

View Full Version : Viewing other linux hardrive

Rick069
1st May 2006, 08:13 PM
I have another hardrive that has fd5 installed on it and I would like to access particular folders on it and transfer those folders onto the current partition that I'm working off of now. How can I view the other hardrive and transfer files between the two hadrives?

steve1961
1st May 2006, 08:23 PM
I have another hardrive that has fd5 installed on it and I would like to access particular folders on it and transfer those folders onto the current partition that I'm working off of now. How can I view the other hardrive and transfer files between the two hadrives?

First you need to find out the name of the partition you want to access. Easiest way is to logon as root by typing su - and then type /sbin/fdisk -l Once you know the partition - hda1, sda1 or something similar - create a mount point somewhere (I use /media/shared, so you would create this bytyping mkdir /media/shared). You can then mount the partition by typing (still as root) mount /dev/hda1 (or whatever it's called) /media/shared Better still, if you know the partition type - e.g. ext3 - the command would be mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /media/shared If you want to automount at startup you would create an entry in fstab.

ccrvic
1st May 2006, 08:50 PM
First you need to find out the name of the partition you want to access. Easiest way is to logon as root by typing su - and then type /sbin/fdisk -l Once you know the partition - hda1, sda1 or something

A natty trick here is to type :

cat /proc/partitions

Vic.

Omega Blue
2nd May 2006, 05:28 AM
That gives you strange information.