PDA

View Full Version : Finding the right C++ developer for Fedora Core 2

Dane_NewB
1st May 2006, 05:29 PM
Hi everybody,

First time posting. I am a relative rookie with regards to Linux. I am a Danish Engineering student currently working on a Open Source Neuronavigation System (Helps surgeons with brain surgery - no less).
I am looking for an easy to use developer tool (freeware) for Linux Fedora Core 2. I am familiar with both JAVA and C, but are forced to swicth to C++ since they use Linux and C++ at the hospital I am working to help. I will need to create a simple GUI with a few supporting functions - probably just a few hundred lines of code total.

Hope someone can give me a good place to start looking.
Maybe a link to a good toturial and a recommendation of which developer to use.
I am familiar with the Dev C++ for Windows.

Eye Mushrooms
1st May 2006, 09:29 PM
Hi everybody,

First time posting. I am a relative rookie with regards to Linux. I am a Danish Engineering student currently working on a Open Source Neuronavigation System (Helps surgeons with brain surgery - no less).
I am looking for an easy to use developer tool (freeware) for Linux Fedora Core 2. I am familiar with both JAVA and C, but are forced to swicth to C++ since they use Linux and C++ at the hospital I am working to help. I will need to create a simple GUI with a few supporting functions - probably just a few hundred lines of code total.

Hope someone can give me a good place to start looking.
Maybe a link to a good toturial and a recommendation of which developer to use.
I am familiar with the Dev C++ for Windows.
Well, if you really liked Dev-C++, Bloodshed claims to have that out for Linx too, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere but on their CD.

In terms of other IDEs, tried Anjuta (http://www.anjuta.org/) and thought it was decent.

Good luck with that Neuronavigation System, by the way.

SHtRO
1st May 2006, 10:23 PM
Glade will help you design your interface and provide you with bindings. You can just use g++ out of the box for compilations. If you are looking for other visual coding tools you will have to dig further, bit if it is simple you can just use the GTK docs with Glade, I believe, and that will set you up.

pete_1967
2nd May 2006, 12:54 AM
Also Eclipse with C/C++ plugin is good. KDevelop is another good GUI. Not forgetting ever so venerable (g)Vim :)

Flounder
2nd May 2006, 02:58 AM
Um gcj for java for command line compiling I believe, and gcc for standard C, and of course g++ for C++. As far as IDEs go command line is the most functional thing I have found.

Dane_NewB
2nd May 2006, 07:05 AM
Thank you for the replies. I will get rigth to it then. I will let you know if it don't work out.

Dane_NewB
8th May 2006, 05:24 PM
Hi,

Having great succes with using just a plain old reliable text editor ;)

However I have run into a practical problem which I hope the (collectively) all knowing community of the FedoraForum can help me with.
I want to create a text field on a GUI. The text field must change text with an event (click on a button). I am using C++ and Fedora Core 2. I am trying to alter a GUI written in fltk.
It would be no problem using JAVA but I just can't seem to get it to work in C++.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Dane_NewB
15th May 2006, 07:33 AM
Hi again,

Having great succes using just a plain old reliable text editor ;-)
Just go to the directory and type:
make
make install
and
make clean between each time (not sure this is necessary - but hey if it ain't broken don't fix it).

I got everything (an Open Source Neuronavigation System) up and running except one thing. I now have two different applications running. One finds a coordinate and the other shows the relevant MR-images.

Now my problem is this:
I have two applications running in two different terminals which I need to have to communicate with each other. I need to find a way to get my data (coordinates) from a program running in one terminal and use it in a program running in the other terminal....
I have no idea how to do this. What I really need is a play by play walk through.
Hope somebody can help me.

giulix
15th May 2006, 09:07 AM
Then you may want to dig into IPC. There was a thread a few months ago about it that could serve as starting point.... here (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94480&highlight=ipc)

Dane_NewB
16th May 2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks I'll get right on it ;-)

SHtRO
18th May 2006, 07:47 PM
If IPC is not suitable, or you need to run the apps on different machines, you could also use sockets (UNIX domain on the local machine, TCP/IP on the network).