PDA

View Full Version : Beagle: What is it good for?

schubie
1st May 2006, 06:49 AM
I must be brain dead with this software. I guess I really don't know how it works. I go to / to search for something (which I know is somewhere on the PC) and it takes about 2 seconds for it to tell me not found.
What am I missing?

Schubie

bryancole
1st May 2006, 08:17 AM
By default Beagle only indexes your home directory. You can configure this in the Search Preferences.

Also, beagle cannot return any serach results until it's indexed your hard-drive. On FC5, beagle doesn't start automatically on login so you should add 'beagled' to your session startup programs (as far as I can tell, the 'start indexing daemon automatically' option in the beagle preferences doesn't do anything). I'd regard this as a FC5 bug.

After starting beagled, leave yourself logged in overnight to give it a chance to index your home-dir (or wherever). The nex day, you file dearch life will be revolutionised...

After your disk has been indexed, beagle will index files automatically as they are created or modified. This seems quite unobtrusive (even on my 900MHz PIII). You can check the status of your beagle index using the command "beagle-index-info".

HTH

Johnny Fist
1st May 2006, 11:22 AM
Something about this just screams "security issue" to me. Is it? Or am I just being paranoid?

bryancole
1st May 2006, 05:42 PM
security issue? how do you mean?

beagle runs only when you're logged in, as a user process, and can only access file which you have read-access to. The index is user specific and stored in your .beagle directory (in your home dir) and hence is not accessible by other users. Beagle is as secure as the normal unix security model.