PDA

View Full Version : Adding programs from dvd

n1iic
1st May 2006, 03:06 AM
Greetings. I originally installed FC4 from DVD, and I wish to install more programs. The problem is, it is asking for the CD's which really defeats the purpose of using the DVD in the first place.

Is there any information on enabling this?

Thanks

Jason

scotta3234
1st May 2006, 03:09 AM
You want to open up the terminal and use YUM to install new programs. See here: http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

and read up about yum and installing packages.

n1iic
1st May 2006, 03:15 AM
I am actually using the GUI at System Settings> Add/Remove Programs.

scotta3234
1st May 2006, 03:31 AM
YUM is just a much easier way of adding the latest version of programs to your computer. As it adds all the dependences you need as well. Most of the stuff off the iso's are outdated anyways and all programs on the dvd would be available in one of the fedora repositories. there is also a GUI for yum called yumex.

Johnny Fist
1st May 2006, 07:05 AM
I used to have the same problem. Once I started using yumex and yum I never went back to the old way. Yumex is the GUI for yum. I highly recommend them both.

n1iic
1st May 2006, 03:31 PM
When it runs, it sucks the life out of my machine, although I do like the idea. I still couldn't find what I was looking for, but now I know.
I am looking for a list of available packages so I can choose what I need. Is there a list of package groups where you select one item and it loads all the associated packages (not necessarily the dependencies)?

scotta3234
1st May 2006, 04:11 PM
Well yes and no. You can use a
yum check-update to see what updates are available and check for packages. When you use YUM it checks for dependencies which is a very good thing, otherwise stuff might start breaking and acting funny. yumex is cool, but i don't really think using the terminal for installing packages is hard as i learned pretty quickly without having any command line experience. As long as you have your repos set up correctly from the guide i provided above it's simply

yum install packagename and replace "packagename" with whatever package you're trying to install.

and also, what "necessary" software were you trying to install? that's the beauty of YUM. If you're missing something, you simply get it from yum.