PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with plugins for firefox

vifa84
1st May 2006, 02:40 AM
I know firefox is supposed to be safer by not autoexecuting many things but it becomes a nuisance when everywhere I go I can't play something because I don't have the proper plugin. Now this wouldn't be so bad if it would just give me the option of installing it but usually just says no plugin available.

For example if I go to xmradio.com and try to play music from my account it just gives plugin required and none available. Same for live36. Seems like for having more security there is a price in functionality.

scotta3234
1st May 2006, 02:52 AM
It's giving you the option because in the windows world it's designed to pick up on what you're missing. If you have many of the necessary packages installed (flash, java, mplayer plug-in for embedded video) you'll be good to go. in fedora you can't just simply install the plugins like you can in windows... See here for how to get necessary packages http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

grndplane
1st May 2006, 02:53 AM
I just down loaded the newest Opera 9.0 and after you save it to say /user/share/applications/Opera run the install.sh. It will show up under all the users on your computer. It seems to have java , java scripts, and all the plug-ins all ready installed. This is only advice and not associated with Opera or any other leagally binding contract. :)

vifa84
2nd May 2006, 01:47 AM
There is a program I liked, listed under system tools called kwifi manager for configuring wireless. After I performed an update with: yum -y update - it seems to have disappeared.
Can someone tell me how to get this program back?

I did yum search kwifi and nothing came up.

icydog
2nd May 2006, 03:11 AM
The kwifimanager is part of kdenetwork package (yum install kdenetwork if you don't have it) and can be opened by typing kwifimanager at a prompt.

On my system, it can also be opened by KDE Menu -> Internet -> More Applications -> KWifiManager. Personally I don't like this whole "More Applications" thing. It takes me forever to find some things.