PDA

View Full Version : init command

Sir. Eden
30th April 2006, 10:36 PM
Aparently the init command doesnt exist, when i try to use init 3 i get the following "command not found" message:

bash: init: command not found

~Eden

Brian1
30th April 2006, 10:50 PM
More than likely you are using as a user and it is not in a users default path.
/sbin/init 3

Brian1

Sir. Eden
30th April 2006, 11:25 PM
That did work, thanks. I do have a second problem now though. after typeing /sbin/init 3 I get the following and it just hangs and goes no further.

starting readhead_early: starting background readhead [ OK ]
[ OK ]
starting irqbalance:
_

Seve
30th April 2006, 11:39 PM
Hello:
What exactly are you trying to do?
If you want to init 3 then you are probably trying to kill / shutdown the Xserver?
If so, then do a Ctrl Alt F1 and login as root and then enter the init 3 or /sbin/init 3 command.

Seve

Sir. Eden
30th April 2006, 11:47 PM
Yes im trying to shutdown Xserver so I can instal my nVidia graphics driver.

Seve
30th April 2006, 11:54 PM
Yes im trying to shutdown Xserver so I can instal my nVidia graphics driver.
Okay then....Ctrl Alt F1..login as root and init 3 enter and wait, if it stops or there is no action then just do a Ctrl Alt F1 again. Then you will have the Xserver shut down and you can install Nvidia.
You should check out this as it is much easier and safer way to install your Nvidia drivers: http://www.stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#nVidia
It's up to you, however, I would strongly suggest the rpm method from livna as described on the above noted site.
If you need more help ... post back.
Seve

Sir. Eden
1st May 2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks I went for the method you suggested, ah no more noisy fan :)

going slightly off-topic i am running into an error installing VLC

Public key for libdvbpsi-0.1.5-2.fc5.rf.x86_64.rpm is not installed
I'm guessing this is just a case of installing the gpg key but ive no idea which one or where.

Firewing1
1st May 2006, 12:12 AM
As for init 3 hang, we all see that. In truth, it doesn't hang - Press <enter>. You'll find a prompt appears. (At least, after stopping to respond, hitting <enter> on my system does.)
Firewing1