PDA

View Full Version : Terminal question...

Erich K.
30th April 2006, 10:25 PM
(I'm using gnome) Is there any way to put a link on the taskbar that loads a terminal command? Like:
To start the teamspeak server you have to cd to the directory and then type ./teamspeak2-server_startscript start

What i need:
Is there a way to put a luncher on the taskbar and set an icon, then all i have to do to execute the teamspeak server start is click the icon.

Any ideas?

Johnny Fist
30th April 2006, 11:05 PM
Right click the panel and select Add to Panel, then select Custom Application Launcher. This is pretty basic really. Its no different than creating shortcuts in Windows.

Erich K.
30th April 2006, 11:21 PM
I've tried that. It won't start the server.

Johnny Fist
1st May 2006, 02:02 AM
Make sure the path is correct. Putting ./ in front of a command isn't going to execute it unless its in the current directory.

Erich K.
1st May 2006, 03:10 AM
I've tried the whole directory, with a ./, with start and without and nothing works. I'm out of ideas

nick.stumpos
1st May 2006, 03:16 AM
try making a new file that says
cd "whatever dir the prog is in"
./teamspeak2-server_startscript start

then save it to something like /usr/bin/teamspeak
then chmod +x /usr/bin/teamspeak
thenn create a launcher that file

Erich K.
1st May 2006, 03:37 AM
try making a new file that says
cd "whatever dir the prog is in"
./teamspeak2-server_startscript start

then save it to something like /usr/bin/teamspeak
then chmod +x /usr/bin/teamspeak
thenn create a launcher that file
What do you mean by make a new file. What type of file? Then how do i chmod +x /usr/bin/teamspeak?

nick.stumpos
1st May 2006, 03:51 AM
in *nix sytem a file is a file but to make it just open up your favorite editor nano, gedit, vim, emacs whatever,
and to do a chmod +x just type it in your terminal

Erich K.
1st May 2006, 03:59 AM
in *nix sytem a file is a file but to make it just open up your favorite editor nano, gedit, vim, emacs whatever,
and to do a chmod +x just type it in your terminal
That worked perfectly! Thanks loads mate :)