PDA

View Full Version : rpm error: package installed but NOT installed

locutius
30th April 2006, 07:34 PM
rpm -Uvh package.rpm

gives me the response: package is already installed

rpm -e package.rpm

gives me the response: package is not installed

please, is there a way out of this vicious circle? i have tried yum install and remove but find the same result. i also tried refreshing the rpm

nlkrio
30th April 2006, 08:32 PM
what is the name of package?

buddha
30th April 2006, 09:02 PM
remove a package by the package name, not the rpm file name

this means,

rpm -e package

not

rpm -e package.rpm

locutius
30th April 2006, 10:37 PM
the package name is freenx-0.4.4-2.FC5.0.noarch.rpm

buddha when i rpm -e freenx then i get the message: scriptlet failed, exit status 1

buddha
30th April 2006, 11:08 PM
I would guess that error message is saying that when you tried to remove the package, one of the uninstall scripts failed. RPM packages can have scripts that run on installation and removal.

You could try removing the package with the --noscripts option.

I don't understand what the problem is. You said you have the package installed and were able to freshen it. So why do you want to remove it?

locutius
30th April 2006, 11:38 PM
because we are trouble shooting nxserver on FC5 and there is now another package to install in the place of this package (but with the same name)

rpm -e --noscripts freenx-0.4.4-2.FC5.0.noarch.rpm ... fails with the error message 'error: package freenx-0.4.4-2.FC5.0.noarch.rpm is not installed'

surely this problem has been seen before where the rpm db is stale?

buddha
1st May 2006, 12:06 AM
because we are trouble shooting nxserver on FC5 and there is now another package to install in the place of this package (but with the same name)

rpm -e --noscripts freenx-0.4.4-2.FC5.0.noarch.rpm ... fails with the error message 'error: package freenx-0.4.4-2.FC5.0.noarch.rpm is not installed'

surely this problem has been seen before where the rpm db is stale?Surely you didn't forget my earlier post already!!!
Don't use the rpm file name when erasing a package! Use the package name only! like this:

rpm -e --noscripts freenx

Firewing1
1st May 2006, 12:15 AM
Yes - You install with

rpm -Uhv FILENAME.rpm
but uninstall with:

rpm -e PACKAGENAME
no .rpm or version after it. You can *technically* include the version, but then a simple typo like forgetting a dot or a dash returns and error and is annoying. Esp. since just "rpm -e packagename" works.
Firewing1

locutius
1st May 2006, 03:12 PM
thank you for the help i have a result :D