PDA

View Full Version : Trying to use Fedora as game server

BigAl
30th April 2006, 12:31 PM
Hi I'm new to Fedora, and thought it would be good for my kids on our home network to have a good games server.
Have read lots of documentation, but still can not get it to work.
So Fedora installed OK as a server, updates and licience OK.
ET Wolfenstien game installed but wont run
Keep getting "do not have right permissions" message to add folders or extracted files
Can not find Apache or Httpd to start to setup
have downloaded Apache but it wont install
PC has good resorces to do the tasks

Please can some one help me, I'm feeling like a novice and have used Linux RedHat before.

Seve
30th April 2006, 01:01 PM
Hello:
Have you had a look at this thread in the how-to's .. it may help.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=94257
Cheers :)
Seve

BigAl
30th April 2006, 06:15 PM
Hi,

I think you are trying to be helpfull, but where do you put the initial code?
Code - yum install system-config-users system-config-services,
This makes no sence its frustrating enough with out any clues - is it in terminal window?
Going for a few beers now - this is a newly installed Fedora server. I'll check it out tommorow.
Beers and cheers
Big Al

Seve
30th April 2006, 06:23 PM
Hi,

I think you are trying to be helpfull, but where do you put the initial code?
Code - yum install system-config-users system-config-services,
This makes no sence its frustrating enough with out any clues - is it in terminal window?
Going for a few beers now - this is a newly installed Fedora server. I'll check it out tommorow.
Beers and cheers
Big Al
Hello:
Perhaps this will help ....... and yes I am as always trying to be helpful. :) http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/ and http://www.fedorafaq.org/ It will explain it better than I can.
Good Luck, enjoy the beers and post back if you need more help, lots of helpful folks here.
Seve

BigAl
1st May 2006, 11:20 AM
Hi Seve,
Thanks for some clues but I feel I am not getting very far.
I write these because some one else might have the same problems.
The Fedora 5 Basics are not right, Terminal can not be opened by a right clic, it just gives you options for
new Folder - Launcher- Document and Change Desktop Background.
You have to go to Top left near blue Fedora "f" Applications - Accessories then Terminal.
If you use Ctrl+Alt+F1 you can not use su -
Ctrl+Alt+F1 you can only use root plus your password - same for Ctrl+Alt+F2 to F6

If I use in Terminal rpm -ql enemy-territory | grep bin there are no listings of any files
Changinging runlevel makes no difference.
Files are in usr/local/games/enemy-territory if I double click on "et" I get
do you want to run "et" or display its contents
Which ever option I use nothing happens, although if I take the Terminal option a terminal window opens then closes.
If I check all the permissions, it reports that root is the owner and every option is greyed out.

I supect I have to be the owner of the files and folders or in in group that has ownership, but then how do I do that? Probably the next problem is to launch the program. Then the next will be to launch the Apache so that my kids can see the server game.

So my problem still is that I have the progam installed, but what ever I do it will not run, however clues that you have given so far have solved other problems, mostly networking stuff and updating files.

Thank you for your help so far, If I continue like this England will have no beer left.
Beers and Pickled Eggs
Big Al

BigAl
2nd May 2006, 02:19 PM
Hi every one,

So the manual is wrong, on another forum I was told to RTFM (YES I have read lots of how to's but the documentation is not right it refers to Red Hat or other versions of Fedora Core where there have been changes)

I still need some help, I have changed a faulty graphics card that was causing the programme not to launch, the basic program launches OK. Trouble is the other files to needed to run the server version I do not own they are owned by root.

Can some one please tell me how to
Change control of folders / Directories / files
Take ownership of files (not owned only as root)
Drag and drop files into folders without ownership errors

Can some one explain for Fedora Core 5
why root in FC5 can not access the inernet via a browser
how to get control of a folder / directory
is there an easy way or hard way to create a group that has control of a set of folders / Directories / files from installation folder to all subsequent folders in the tree
Why you need a launcher

Hoping NOT to to get an other RTFM

Beer and Crisps

Big Al (not drinking England dry)

I have used Unix for years and this is nothing like Unix
Big Al

nox771
2nd May 2006, 10:25 PM
I probably can't help with the specifics of your game server, but here are some simple answers for the basic stuff:

The Fedora 5 Basics are not right, Terminal can not be opened by a right clic, it just gives you options for new Folder - Launcher- Document and Change Desktop Background.
Yeah I don't know whos retarded GUI vision the developers are following, but the default GNOME window manager (Metacity?) has been on a steady decline (from the funky Nautilus path/folder thing to dropping the Terminal out of the right click menu - who the hell needs to make folders so often that it requires an option in the right click menu ?!?). This is the first WM I can't figure out how to customize the right click menu for, mabye its compiled in, I don't know. Regardless I've read elsewhere that this will add the terminal option back in:

As root:

yum install nautilus-open-terminal

Can some one please tell me how to
Change control of folders / Directories / files
Take ownership of files (not owned only as root)
Two commands:
chown (for changing ownership)
chmod (for changing permissions)

Type "man chown" or "man chmod" to get detailed instructions. Note, only root can change ownership on files owned by root.

To recursively change all ownership in a directory tree to "username" and "groupname" do this:
chown -R username:groupname directory

Or for single files:
chown username:groupname filename

For permissions you can do similar kinds of recursive operations:
chmod -R ug+rw directory (to give user and group read/write access to all files in directory)

Probably best to check the man page on chmod, there are several ways to use it.

is there an easy way or hard way to create a group that has control of a set of folders / Directories / files from installation folder to all subsequent folders in the tree
You can create a custom group by adding a new entry to the /etc/group file. There is a groupadd command, but usually I just edit the file directly as root. A simple entry would be like this:

newgroup::GID:user1,user2,user3 ...

where "newgroup" is the new group name, GID is a unique group number (not used anywhere else), and user1,2,3,... are the users in the group

After you create the group use chmod/chown to assign it control of the directories you want. You may have to start a new shell to get the group to be recognized after you add it .

BigAl
4th May 2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks nox771,
just what the Doctor ordered - success
yum installed nautilus-open-terminal but it is not on the applictions menu, so can still not find it.
Still unable to launch "etded" which is the dedicated server part the final piece of the puzzel for the game server.
Solution to Problems
So back to basics for Fedora Core 5
Top left menu
click system
click Adminstration
click Users and Groups
enter root password
click Add Group
name Group ET add root and Al to users in group
Close

Top left menu
Applications
Accesories
Terminal
su - (thats su space -)
enter root password
cd .. (thats cd space .. takes you one level down from desktop)
ls -l (thats ls space -l so you can see all directories and contents )
cd usr
cd local
cd games
chown -hR root:ET enemy:territory
This changes root ownership of all the sub directories and files in enemy-territory to the group ET
chmod -R 770 enemy-territory
this changes the file permissions for owners and groups to read write and execute all files and folders, can also do 777 if brave.
Close terminal - left click on X in top right of Terminal.

Double left click on Computer, then Filesystem, then usr, then local, then games and there is the enemy-territory folder.
You can now drag and drop punkbuster html or any other files into the correct directory or folder and unzip any modificastions like the robotplayers into the correct place.

I think that any game server that people may wish to use may have the same problems, that is why I have written out the whole thing. You might think it is an idiots guide but it has taken 2 weeks to do this so far.

My thanks to all who have written so far.

Now all that needs doing is the launch of the etded file - some thing todo with the binaries perhaps.

beers and pickled eggs

Big Al