PDA

View Full Version : NTFS Driver

Steven2k7
30th April 2006, 05:01 AM
Whats a good driver to get for Fedora Core 5 that will let me see all the files on my NTFS partition? I will be doing 98% reading data, and about 2% writing data to it.
Once you install it, how does it show up in fedora? Does it just look like another drive in computer?

Also, a quick question about the GRUB boot loader; Is there a way to increase the time it takes to boot to the default operating system? I currently have windows XP and FC5 installed, and it gives me about 3 seconds to push a key to choose an operating system to load, I would perfer about 7 seconds or so.

centos_x
30th April 2006, 07:05 AM
To increase your boot time look in /boot for the grub.conf you should see a line to change it mine is set at 60 seconds.

as for ntfs driver I only use mine to read, but you would need to create a directory and make a mount point in FSTAB after then every time you reboot it would mount to where you made the directory....

Steven2k7
30th April 2006, 04:17 PM
Where is the grub.conf located? and how do I get to it?

I dont really understand what you ment for the ntfs driver...

Sorry, I'm not too technical with Linux, but I'm trying to learn everything with it.

Spoon!
30th April 2006, 10:11 PM
Where is the grub.conf located?
/boot/grub/grub.conf

I dont really understand what you ment for the ntfs driver...
First you need to install the NTFS driver.
* add Livna (http://rpm.livna.org/) repo
* do "yum install kmod-ntfs"
* reboot or do "modprobe ntfs"

Then you need to understand how to mount stuff on your computer. First, you need to have a mount point. So create a new directory somewhere (I'll use /mnt/windows for example). Also, you need to know which partition your Windows drive is (I'll use /dev/hda1 for example). There are two ways to mount things:
* mount it manually:

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows/ -o umask=0000
* mount it automatically at boot:
insert a line like this in your /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0000 0 0

Steven2k7
1st May 2006, 02:00 AM
Ok, I'll work on it, see what I come up with.

I couldnt find an NTFS driver on the Livna repo website.

Moridin333
1st May 2006, 02:22 AM
You don't actually download the NTFS driver from the Livna site.
Livna is a repo that you can tell yum to look at when trying to find a specific file to download.
For the NTFS and Livna questions this page will probably help
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html

Firewing1
1st May 2006, 03:00 AM
To get the NTFS driver off Livna:

su -
rpm -Uhv http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release5.rpm
yum install kmod-ntfs
yum update kernel
Firewing1

Steven2k7
1st May 2006, 03:05 AM
Ok, I went to that website, and I'll try what it sugests tomarrow.

I dont realy understand what some of you are saying. all I know is what to type in, but I duno where to type it in at...

Moridin333
1st May 2006, 03:38 AM
Everybody is clueless at first. Don't worry about it. Just stick with it and it will all come together. I personally would reccomend getting a good book for linux beginners. I've been looking around and haven't found anything that's current but the basics are pretty much the same.

As for where you type it in you use a terminal. I'm using Kde and I can get to the terminal from the menu by going to System > Terminal. Alternatly if you use KDE you can press ALT+F2 to type in commands. Just type in terminal in the box and one will open for you. Another option is to get out of the GUI by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1. If you do this you can get back in to the GUI by pressing CTRL+ALT+F7

One of the common commands is the SU command.
This will log you on as a superuser (root) if you know the password. The pros of this command is that it doesn't change the directory you're in.
This command is necessary to use the yum program because it won't run unless you're a superuser.

Hope this helps and I'll be keeping an eye on your posts.

Firewing1
1st May 2006, 03:46 AM
If you'd like you can check my "Linux Questions Answered" howto in my signature links, it'll answer all of your questions. I compiled a list of questions like those to help you out :) It will explain to you what these terminals are, what root is, etc.
Firewing1

Steven2k7
2nd May 2006, 03:17 AM
Thats a nice newbie guide. I'll keep on reading it.

when I go to computer/file system/boot/grub/grub config, it wont let me access it. it says I dont have the right permisions.

When I go to add programs, it loads, then gives me an error and closes it (forget what the error is).

Also, I dont have my harddrive set up like the normal person would. I have a SATA drive, and its devided into 4 partitions:

15gig NTFS (windows xp)
110 gig NTFS (All my programs/files)
15gig Fedora
15gig FAT32 (nothing on it right now).

I've been working on trying to get my NTFS drive mounted, but it either gives me some sort of error, or does nothing at all.

I'm pretty good with computers, built mine my self, but I have more experience with XP. I had fedora core 3 for a while, but never used it very much because it didnt support anything I wanted to do. I'm hoping to get more involved with FC5, but yeah, I am pretty clueless.

Firewing1
2nd May 2006, 03:44 AM
OK, well I'll guide you through:
1) Get the kernel NTFS module installed (this extends kernel your support to allow the mounting of NTFS drives. Kernel is the base of the Linux OS.)

su -
su -
rpm -Uhv http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release5.rpm
yum install kmod-ntfs
yum update kernel
reboot
OK, now log back in and open up another terminal. Type this:

su -
gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf
add at the bottom of the file:

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
Next, save & close all that type:

su -
mkdir /media/WindowsXP
gedit /etc/fstab
add to the bottom:

/dev/hda1 /media/WindowsXP ntfs owner,users,ro,exec,umask=002,gid=user 0 0
Change user to your Fedora login / username. Reboot, and enjoy :)
Firewing1

JohnVV
2nd May 2006, 04:33 AM
hi if you do not know already you wont be able to wright to the ntfs drive
except for one exception if the file size is not changed

Steven2k7
2nd May 2006, 07:13 PM
Right now my computer I'm using Fedora on dosnt have internet access, and wont untill around this sunday. Can I just download the file from the link, save it to a flash drive, then install it from there?

Thanks for all your help!

Firewing1
2nd May 2006, 09:44 PM
You could, yes, but it's better to let Yum do it. For manual download, browse to rpm.livna.org/fedora/fc5/ and make sure you get the right kmod for your arch!
Firewing1

Moridin333
2nd May 2006, 11:56 PM
I can't think of any reason a flash drive won't work.

Steven2k7
3rd May 2006, 12:14 AM
I tryed installing it with add/remove software, by double clicking, and hiting ok a few times. it said it was installed, but when I reboot nothing happens.

Wait, I think I forgot to mount the drive, I'll try that in a second.

I did change the GRUB boot loarder timeout tho :)

Steven2k7
3rd May 2006, 07:57 PM
No luck with the NTFS drive. I might have to wait untill I get my internet hooked back up to my computer.

Is there anything else I should know?

I'm thinking about picking up a guide to using Fedora, either a book or CD (perferably a CD). whats a good one to look at for a begginer?

Also, in about a month I'm going to buy another 160 gig sata drive, and combine it with my current wont to form a 320gig RAID 0. Will it be difficult to set up Fedora on it? This is what I'm planning to do:

110 Gig (ntfs) main storage
20 XP (ntfs)
20 PRO (or other operating system) (ntfs)
20 Vista (ntfs)
70 Fedora (ext3)
30 Optional operating system (fat32)
30 Optional Operating system (fat32)

100MB ext3 partition, mountpoint /boot

Think that 70 gig will be great for Fedora? even with installing a bunch of programs to it.

Moridin333
4th May 2006, 12:57 AM
70 Gigs should be MORE than enough for Fedora. I'm running it on 20Gig right now.

kashell
5th May 2006, 07:47 AM
I too have followed the instructions to install the livna repo and the yum install and kernel rebuild go perfrectly.

[root@localhost ~]# modprobe ntfs
FATAL: Module ntfs not found.

I have rebooted and tried to redo the install to no avail....... Any ideas?

Steven2k7
9th May 2006, 03:04 AM
Ok, I logged on Fedora, and read through this thread again, and did everything. as far as I know, I installed the NTFS driver, but I'm not sure about mounting it. everytime I boot fedora, it gives me an error saying it couldnt mount the drive.

I updated the kerneal as well, and now GRUB shows I have 2 copys of fedora:
Fedora Core (2.6.16-1.2111_FC(f)
Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC(f)

When I do get the drive mounted, where will it show up at?

btw, the partition I wanted mounted is on my only SATA drive, it should be the first partition on it, and it is named "Steven_Stuff"

Moridin333
9th May 2006, 03:28 AM
The 2 copies of Fedora are 2 different kernels that you can choose to load.
I'm assuming you used yum to update your system. This downloaded updated kernel 2.6.16-1.2111.
You can load either one but you have to have the NTFS driver that matches your kernel.

If you used the website's tutorial to mount your windows partition it should be in /mnt/windows/c (or whatever you put in your fstab)

Also is you are using a sata drive the drive is sda instead of hda. This is what you use when editing your fstab.

Ok, I logged on Fedora, and read through this thread again, and did everything. as far as I know, I installed the NTFS driver, but I'm not sure about mounting it. everytime I boot fedora, it gives me an error saying it couldnt mount the drive.

I updated the kerneal as well, and now GRUB shows I have 2 copys of fedora:
Fedora Core (2.6.16-1.2111_FC(f)
Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC(f)

When I do get the drive mounted, where will it show up at?

btw, the partition I wanted mounted is on my only SATA drive, it should be the first partition on it, and it is named "Steven_Stuff"

Moridin333
9th May 2006, 03:29 AM
Are you sure the you have the correct drivers version? Are you sure the drivers actuall installed?

I too have followed the instructions to install the livna repo and the yum install and kernel rebuild go perfrectly.

Moridin333
9th May 2006, 03:30 AM
Are you sure the you have the correct drivers version? Are you sure the drivers actually installed?

dahamsta
10th May 2006, 03:07 AM
Why is kmod-ntfs dependant on a kernel that hasn't been releases yet?

[root@tedcrilly ~]# yum install kmod-ntfs
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
livna [1/7]
flash [2/7]
core [3/7]
jpackage-fedora [4/7]
jpackage-generic [5/7]
extras [6/7]
updates [7/7]
Reading repository metadata in from local files
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package kmod-ntfs.i686 0:2.1.26-5.2.6.16_1.2111_FC5 set to be installed
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: kernel-i686 = 2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 for package: kmod-ntfs
--> Processing Dependency: ntfs-kmod-common = 2.1.26 for package: kmod-ntfs
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package ntfs-kmod-common.noarch 0:2.1.26-2.lvn5 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: kernel-i686 = 2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 for package: kmod-ntfs
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: kernel-i686 = 2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 is needed by package kmod-ntfs

[root@tedcrilly ~]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5
kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5

[root@tedcrilly ~]# yum update kernel
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
livna [1/7]
flash [2/7]
core [3/7]
jpackage-fedora [4/7]
jpackage-generic [5/7]
extras [6/7]
updates [7/7]
Reading repository metadata in from local files
Could not find update match for kernel
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion

Firewing1
10th May 2006, 04:03 AM
nope - That's odd. I'm running in 2111, and downloaded it a long time ago. Try:

su -
yum clean all
yum update
then reboot, and install kmod-ntfs.
EDIT: Quick re-read and found out why. It's not updating "kernel" because it's not installed in the first place. kernel-smp is. Do
yum update kernel-smp and you'll be OK. If I remember correctly, then you can't use kmod-ntfs but rather kmod-ntfs-smp.
Firewing1

dahamsta
10th May 2006, 01:05 PM
Bizarre. I updated with that new tool, pup, under the assumption that that would just do up a yum update, but it doesn't seem to have done. What /does/ it do?!

Firewing1
10th May 2006, 09:34 PM
I'm not sure - I ALWAYS use the Yum CLI or Yumex... I havn't played around much with the new tools.
Firewing1

Moridin333
10th May 2006, 11:39 PM
I personally prefer KYum. If you're using KDE that is. It gives better descriptions than Yumex