PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core 2

Linuxxx
28th April 2006, 09:01 PM
Hello

I'm just wondering if it's possible to get Fedora Core 2 updated to the standards that Fedora core 5 is at. I'm having difficulty burning the .iso for Fedora Core 5 and instead of installing a brand new OS in FC5 if I can just update FC2.

Linuxxx

bob
28th April 2006, 09:04 PM
I'm afraid that there are FAR too many changes and dependency issues to make this work for you. You'll be much better off to work out the burning issue. What's the problem with it? What are you trying to burn with?

Linuxxx
28th April 2006, 09:10 PM
I'm trying to burn with a free copy of Cute CD DVD burner in Windows 2000. I downloaded the image file via bit torrent and it's currently on my desktop. Everytime I try to burn/ build an image file the program doesn't see a DVD in the drive. I did notice that the DVD has on the acronym DVD +R on the outside of the package, does this have to be DVD RW.

bob
28th April 2006, 09:16 PM
No, that's fine. I'd guess the program is buggy. Why not try a different one? This one's free and supposedly will do the job although I've never used it. http://www.burn4free.com/ - HA!!!! My favorite burning program from my Windows days will work for you! http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4242.html That one never failed me.

Linuxxx
28th April 2006, 09:34 PM
I installed the burn 4 free software and there were no problems installing, however when I try to press the burn Data button all it says it please insert disc. If I press the eject and load buttons the DVD burner reacts appropriatly. Any ideas on what I should do?

Linuxxx

RedFedora
28th April 2006, 09:41 PM
For what it's worth, it is possible to take a FC2 box and update it to
FC5 packages. However, the process is a lot more trouble than
finding a decent burning program.

It might be worth the cost of ordering some Fedora CDs from a vendor.
They're usually under $10 and it'll save you some headaches.

Firewing1
28th April 2006, 09:52 PM
Yes, exactly... Basiaclly, the updated FC2 standards is the FC5 images. FC2 is currently in legacy and just 'yum update' will be nowhere NEAR FC5.
Firewing1

u-noneinc-s
28th April 2006, 10:07 PM
If you have "lots and lots" of time on your hands, you could try to upgrade 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5, or even 2 -> 3 -> 5 or 2 -> 4 -> 5,
but there is still no guarentee this is going to work, and it will require conciderable time.

There have been successful, trouble free 3 to 5 upgrades and there have been problematic 3 to 5 upgrades and there have
been failed 3 to 5 upgrades. I believe I read one post with a successful 2 to 5 upgrade, but I believe that was a
CD or DVD upgrade. come to think of it, they were mostly all CD/DVD upgrades,

The odds are probably not in your favor.

Do you have a CD burner or just DVD? It might be worth a try.

bob
28th April 2006, 10:32 PM
One other thing is to try the CDBurnerXP from the other link I mentioned. That one never failed me, but then again I was using CD's not DVD's. It's always a possibility that there's a problem with your burner. Try making a DVD with your media from any other source or try using it to burn CD's and find out it's working.

ezzetabi
28th April 2006, 11:31 PM
you can also try deepburner, http://www.deepburner.com/. I use it regularry with my WXP installation.

Its only flaw is it does not support overburning...