PDA

View Full Version : Home mail server

dhargrave
28th April 2006, 06:19 PM
I would like to set up a home mail server. What I want the server to do is download my email from my pop3 account to my fc5 box. I would then set up the mail clients on the rest of my home computers to download the email from the fc5 box (IMAP style?). This is really a request of my wife who wants to be able to read her email from our main desktop or her lap top. Also there is the benfit of backups if our email is located on the fc5 box.

Thanks

ccrvic
28th April 2006, 06:30 PM
What I want the server to do is download my email from my pop3 account to my fc5 box.

You want fetchmail, then.

Vic.

sentry
28th April 2006, 06:40 PM
Not sure if this will help but....

Most email clients have a "just copy messages" setting. This will allow an IMAP-esq feel with a POP server.

If you can turn this setting on in the client it may save you the hassle of a mail server.

dhargrave
28th April 2006, 07:42 PM
I have used the "just copy message". It seems to be flakey to me. It also doesn't carry the status (read/non read/reply/etc..) to other clients.

gavinw6662
29th April 2006, 04:48 AM
You want fetchmail, then.

Vic.

That would be your answer. There are several How to's out there. As well as you can buy just about any FC book out there and there should be a decent how to - to get you going. After that, you set up a simple fetchmail script and you should be off. I would suggest - that unless you are on a static IP, that you send e-mail via back out (from your systems) to your ISP's SMTP server. A lot of big ISP are beginning to block known Dynamic IP ranges. I am on comcast, and I am no longer able to send an e-mail from myself (out of my home mail server configured to run for my domain) to my ISP e-mail account. I am told " can't send e-mail back to itself" or something like that. So just make sure you are not sending messages from your home mail server, but rather out through your ISP mail server.