ssu
28th April 2006, 07:12 AM
Hello,

I have the following machine configuration

P5N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard
Pentium D CPU
two nvidia 7800GT video card
4GB RAM

I tried to install FC5 i386 and x86_64. Surprisingly, both installed without complain. However, x86_64 installation process took more than 24 hours but i386 about 45 min. I was hoping they will run normally after installation. That did not happen. I even installed the latest nvidia video drive from livna.org. Before livna.org nvidia driver installation, glxgears runs at 50fps and after nvidia driver installation at 110fps. The entire machine as a whole is very slow. gnome term took about 2 minutes to execute. Reboot took about 15 minutes. At first, I have the SLI connector on the graphics card. But removing the connector and uninstalling and reinstalling livna.org nvidia driver did not makes any difference.

However, windowXP 32 bit version run just like any other Pentium class cpu machine would with no problem. Even with driver from nvidia.com.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Thank you so much in advance.

Simon

Jman
28th April 2006, 11:00 PM
Have you run top or other process monitors to see what's using all the CPU and RAM, if anything?

ssu
28th April 2006, 11:13 PM
The CPU Load is constantly at 20 plus percent each core, sometimes up to 100% total CPUs usages. The processes that I can remember are those like X, and other system related processes.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks