PDA

View Full Version : been great..complaint time

doublem9
28th April 2006, 04:44 AM
alright this gets annoying alotta times when im doing my sports webpagging.

is there any other good linux browsers besides firefox?
when my mozilla browser or firefox refreshes sometimes it takes forever to load.
when i go to certain websites at random it doesnt act in 100% speed. i have an ibook and i used to have windows xp..im really giving linux a big chance been using my fc5 for 1 week + already.

but man come on..in windows xp the browsing experience is SO MUCh faster im sorry..sigh frustrating

any advice?

bob
28th April 2006, 04:45 AM
You could try Opera - not my favorite, but fast.

perry753
28th April 2006, 04:48 AM
This happens to me sometimes also. On certain websites, the browser would just stop loading for about 30 sec, then resumes to load pages. I am on FC4 with Firefox x86_64 and Firefox would load the pages fine on Windows.

Are you on the PPC version of FC5?

doublem9
28th April 2006, 06:07 AM
Hey..maybe thats our problem?? im using it on my pc..so same ver as u the 64 bit version.

i regret installing the 64 bit version. im not even using flash right now.

if it continues im gonna look for a new distro release on distrowatch.com and check some other distro while im at it...and if it sucks compared to fedora (im loving the gnome here) ill jus install the 32 bit version.

but generally being a linux experimenter, mac user, and windows xp user...
its sad but windows xp browsing experience is by far the best...ah well

tell me if you fix it

Shadow Skill
28th April 2006, 06:33 AM
Well flash is still a PITA but I would recommend that you try Opera, Opera does not currently have any 64bit binaries so it runs in a 32bit compatability layer so it should be possible to get flash to work correctly even on 64bit. I was able to pull it off with both Opera and the 32bit version of Firefox on my Gentoo system; the trick was enabling oss support for ALSA doing the same on Fedora should get flash working decently. Embedded video is still a bit dicey but that seems to be the case even on good ol x86.

ccrvic
28th April 2006, 10:11 AM
but generally being a linux experimenter, mac user, and windows xp user...
its sad but windows xp browsing experience is by far the best

Almost all of my machines are RHEL-based. I find browsing is very much faster & more reliable in RHEL than in Windows, whether you use FireFox or Mozilla or IE.

A number of people have remarked that FC5 is generally a bit slow - and that's been my experience of it so far. That's hardly surprising - Fedora is aimed at the rapid-turnaround crowd, so there will necessarily be problems that you don't see with the more mature distributions.

I plan on giving FC5 quite a bit more time to see if this sort of issue gets resolved...

Vic.

ltam
28th April 2006, 11:12 AM
RHEL 4 is based on FC3. I find FC5 faster then RHEL 4. Nevertheless, FC5 will eventually be hardened enough to be a RHEL.

Has there been any announcements on RHEL 5?

ccrvic
28th April 2006, 11:37 AM
I find FC5 faster then RHEL 4.

I suspect there are certain configurations that run slowly; finding out this sort of thing is the reason FC exists, I suppose...

Nevertheless, FC5 will eventually be hardened enough to be a RHEL.

Yep.

Has there been any announcements on RHEL 5?

I've yet to see anything involving a release date :-(

AFAICT, RHEL5 will be an enterprise-version of FC5; they seem to be going great guns on the virtualisation front (which is why I got interested in FC5 in the first place - and I still haven't got it going). I'm sure more detail will emerge as release approaches...

VIc.

sailor
28th April 2006, 04:52 PM
optimize your browser with fasterfox extension....
I find that firefox is slow to start, but once going all is fine....I have used Opera and it is a fast browser, I liked Netscape 7.2 as well.

martyfelker
30th April 2006, 12:47 AM
You might try the integrated Mozilla suite Seamonkey. Of course it might even load slower than your Firefox - but you won't know unless you try. Opera 9 beta didn't work for me.

scotta3234
30th April 2006, 12:50 AM
I've never really had too much of a problem with Firefox, but Opera is pretty good too. You should definitely check out Fasterfox or search for "web pages loading slow" and it should tell you steps in editing your "about:config" in firefox.