PDA

View Full Version : FC5: Screensavers

billquinn
28th April 2006, 01:22 AM
Since upgrading from FC4 to FC5 a week ago, I have become increasingly concerned over the apparent loss of capabilities, tools, and functionality in FC5, compared with what was availablle in FC4. My latest unpleasant discovery has to do with the screensavers. First, I noticed very few were available, and many of my favorites were not among them. Then thanks to this very helpful forum, I learned about "yum install xscreensaver-gl-extras." (That problem never came up in FC4 because it allowed us to install "everything," a function lost in FC5).

However, now that I have all the screensavers installed, I find that there apparently is no capability to change specific screensaver settings as there was in FC4. For example, one of my favorite comical screensavers was "BouncingCow." In FC4, the screensaver window that allowed you to select the screensaver also allowed you, in the case of the bouncing cows, to the select the number of cows that were bouncing. I could find no such setting to adjust in the Preferences->Screensaver window. Other screensavers had a setting for speed.

Is this something else we've lost with FC5, or is there some way to restore this functionality?

Thanks.

Bill

Firewing1
28th April 2006, 01:42 AM
Since upgrading from FC4 to FC5 a week ago, I have become increasingly concerned over the apparent loss of capabilities, tools, and functionality in FC5, compared with what was availablle in FC4. My latest unpleasant discovery has to do with the screensavers. First, I noticed very few were available, and many of my favorites were not among them. Then thanks to this very helpful forum, I learned about "yum install xscreensaver-gl-extras." (That problem never came up in FC4 because it allowed us to install "everything," a function lost in FC5).
However, now that I have all the screensavers installed, I find that there apparently is no capability to change specific screensaver settings as there was in FC4. For example, one of my favorite comical screensavers was "BouncingCow." In FC4, the screensaver window that allowed you to select the screensaver also allowed you, in the case of the bouncing cows, to the select the number of cows that were bouncing. I could find no such setting to adjust in the Preferences->Screensaver window. Other screensavers had a setting for speed.
Is this something else we've lost with FC5, or is there some way to restore this functionality?
Thanks.
Bill
I noticed this too, and since the Fedora Bubbles / Gnome Feet are quite nice I leave it at that until the feature comes back. If you want to speed it up post to bugzilla.redhat.com and let the developers know about this, it'll probably be fixed in the next release.
For now, that's a downside of gnome-screensaver and not xscreensaver but once you find out about the new features gnome-screensaver brings you'll see why we made the switch. Gnome 2.16 is going to be really cool.
To be honest Fedora Core 5 is very much of a - I want to say 'testing' release which it isn't - but let's say all the new stuff was put together and formed the Core 5. Of course, with new stuff comes new features, but in the same way the old ones are gone. It brough about HUGE changes (KDE 3.5, Gnome 2.14 and Xorg 7) which require getting used to, and not all the features are quite complete yet. They're work in progresses. Fedora Core 6 is going to be double what Core 5 is and I highly recommend upgrading to it when it comes out, as issues like this will be solved.
Firewing1

Doritos
22nd May 2006, 02:03 AM
this is because of the new "gnome-screensaver", distributed with gnome2.14

They oversimplified the screensaver options, and doesn't allow to change individual preferences.

As you can read on gnome's bugzilla, they also were arrogant, and say they won't implement this feature, and this is not a bug.

Solution:

yum install xscreensaver-base xscreensaver-extras xscreensaver-gl-extras
yum remove gnome-screensaver

tkoco
26th May 2006, 01:55 PM
I noticed the same issue. I "yum"d the xscreensaver set to my FC5 machine. However, there is a lack of updating the screensaver management. I read the comments. Is there a way to manually update the screensaver list for FC5?

tkoco
26th May 2006, 02:00 PM
I noticed the issue as well. Thanks for the work around!

They oversimplified the screensaver options, and doesn't allow to change individual preferences.

As you can read on gnome's bugzilla, they also were arrogant, and say they won't implement this feature, and this is not a bug.

Solution:

Firewing1
26th May 2006, 09:51 PM
It's a good workaround, but then you're still stuck with the OLD xscreensaver. Come to think of it - I'm not sure if it's still in development, but the interface sure as heck makes it look old... I'm not sure, but I think if you get messy with gconf-editor you can manage to keep the nice GUI of gnome-screensaver and add your options in...
Firewing1

Doritos
26th May 2006, 10:12 PM
I hope i'ts a temporary solution (I hope the guys at gnome.org, forget this "oversimplifying stuff", and put the options in.
Or, i will be stuck with this "old" interface.
But old, does not mean "not good"
The thing just got to work, being old or new.
right now, xscreensaver works, gnome-screensaver does not.

Firewing1
27th May 2006, 06:13 AM

Solution:

I searched and couldn't find the bug - Can you post a link? I'm going to give them hell... :p
Firewing1

Doritos
27th May 2006, 07:01 AM
I found at google, searching for a solution to this.

Firewing1
27th May 2006, 10:48 PM
I made a howto. Click on "Full list of howtos" in my signature, then check out the screensavers. Previewing a really nice-looking, customized glmatrix right now ;)
Firewing1

gemini91
11th June 2006, 06:37 PM
I also got rid of gnome-screensaver. I use my digital photos with
GLscreensaver. The photos are located in a different partition,
and only the old interface lets me point to them.

Firewing1
11th June 2006, 07:23 PM
If you edit the .desktop files as shown in my howto, you could probably trick it into working...
Firewing1

Thetargos
11th June 2006, 08:32 PM
Use the "old" xcreensaver-demo program, and uninstall gnome-screensaver. I have even complained about this program at the GNOME forums, as it has a lot of reduced usability, and even there is no way to control some features directly from the UI, but you can from gConf (For instance when the screen is locked, you could, in theory, change the current user). Still the old screensaver manager program is way better (IMO), though the new has some slick features, with a poor and minimalistic implementation. However what the program is and becomes is up to the maintainer, so...

In any case, the real work around is to uninstall gnome-screensaver and use xscreensaver-demo (the "old" manager), you'll discover nothing has actually changed.

PS. the problem with the screensavers was also present in FC4, only you could "work around it" by installing everything.

gemini91
11th June 2006, 08:55 PM
Firewing1, next time I have that system up I will mess with it
to see if it would work. I'll update this thread with the results.
However, long term, it would be unacceptable to deal with screensavers
this way. There needs to be an to easy way to select a screensaver,
and the options to use with it. If you want to use one.

Thetargos
11th June 2006, 09:06 PM
Firewing1, next time I have that system up I will mess with it
to see if it would work. I'll update this thread with the results.
However, long term, it would be unacceptable to deal with screensavers
this way. There needs to be an to easy way to select a screensaver,
and the options to use with it. If you want to use one.
There is:

yum install xscreensaver-*extras
Now the default settings for xscreensaver will be set by xscreensaver-demo, the "old" screensaver manager

Why was gnome-screensaver used instead, is still beyond me.

gemini91
11th June 2006, 09:24 PM
Thetargos, thanks, but as I said in the begining I got rid of
gnome-screensaver and went back to the old one. I updated
saying that I would try Firewing1s work around just to see if
it would work.

vicricker
25th June 2006, 05:07 PM
It'd be nice to be able to choose the screensavers that you like and let the system randomize between them. I like to turn off many of the screensavers because they are either ugly (IMO), have stability/performance issues or *SOUND* (See skyrocket in rss-glx from the extras repo.) I find the inability to do this more annoying that not being able to configure the properties of the screensavers.

I'll be switching back to xscreensaver. :-(

Thetargos
25th June 2006, 06:40 PM
To speak the truth, I don't like gnome-screensaver ONE BIT! Sure it has a fancier UI, has LOTs of potential, but current implementation, just ties my hands... I don't like that (maybe for a corporate setting that's OK, but certainly not for the personal computer desktop), so I went back to xscreensaver and use xscreensaver-demo to set the screensavers... The UI is not everything, just like what happens (IMO) with the never-ending discussions about GNOME Vs KDE or other DEs, is just the same, gnome-screensaver could look fancier and incorporate some rather nice features, but as long as xscrensaver-demo, looking "uglier" but getting the job done, I'm using that!

Firewing1
26th June 2006, 03:29 AM
I made a howto. Click on "Full list of howtos" in my signature, then check out the screensavers. Previewing a really nice-looking, customized glmatrix right now ;)
Firewing1
Well, I guess I'll post again - See the quote... The screensavers are customizeable!
Firewing1

Thetargos
26th June 2006, 04:36 AM
I have read your howto, the issue is that this should not be necessary... Gnome-screensaver should have (in the first place) given at least the same features xscreensaver-demo had. Cleaning up the UI? Make the less used options gconf controls.

vicricker
27th June 2006, 02:36 PM
Agreed. What advantage does the gnome screensaver give that makes going through all that hassle worthwhile?

Gconf gives me nightmares of Windows' registry editor.

The rss-glx-xscreensaver package doesn't seem to work, btw. Not that it's a big deal. I'll try to figure it out later when I'm bored. I've already wasted too much time on this stuff. :-)

Thetargos
27th June 2006, 06:31 PM
While gconf is only similar to Windows registry, the similarity ends there. It is better organized, pretty much only contains preference settings for applications, not system-wide information and configurations, and is much more straight forward than obscure {e781269a92840fcd3431q2} keys.

BanditRider
27th June 2006, 11:45 PM
Firewing1, I followed your how-to and now I get an error running gnome-screensaver-preferences

gnome-screensaver-preferences: symbol lookup error: gnome-screensaver-preferences: undefined symbol: g_type_register_static_simple

Any idea what's up with that?

Firewing1
28th June 2006, 04:07 AM
You have to update the "libgnomeui" package from development:

su -
yum --enablerepo=development update libgnomeui
Firewing1

BanditRider
28th June 2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks, firewing, that did it.

stevea
2nd September 2006, 02:02 PM
Since upgrading from FC4 to FC5 a week ago, I have become increasingly concerned over the apparent loss of capabilities, tools, and functionality in FC5, compared with what was availablle in FC4. [...] one of my favorite comical screensavers was "BouncingCow." [...]

Thanks.

Bill

The reason the old xscreensavers are deprecated is that they generally have required that you set "xhost +" which allows anyone on your system (the whole network on some X11 implementation) to create an xwin on your desktop and opens you up to all sorts of spoofing attacks. Not all systems are single user !

If you desparately *need* bouncing cows despite the security hole they create, then install it and stop the overly expansive complaints on a microscopic issue.

bob
9th September 2006, 02:45 PM
What is microscopic to some is irksome to others. One of the features of linux is the ability to tweak to our heart's desire. When our tweaking is limited, we want to know why, look for workarounds and yes, complain. Of course, that's what most of the posts in our Forum are about - complaints about why things haven't gone the way we would like and how to resolve them.