PDA

View Full Version : installing gnome and switching between desktops

urmom9388
28th April 2006, 12:07 AM
I currently have kde installed and I just found out that fedora frog only works in gnome. Is there a way for me to install gnome and switch, run fedora frog, and switch back to kde and uninstall gnome?

Firewing1
28th April 2006, 12:12 AM
su -
yum groupinstall "Gnome Desktop Environment"
yum install switchdesk switchdesk-gui
Should get Gnome installed, and from there it *should* run in KDE because the Gnome libs are installed. If not, then you can use the login screen and click "Session" at the bottom, and then click "Gnome" to temp. login in Gnome.
Firewing1

urmom9388
28th April 2006, 12:15 AM
afterwords do i just do yum remove gnome?

Firewing1
28th April 2006, 12:17 AM
yum groupremove "Gnome Desktop Environment"
But, what is it exactly that you want to install? I'm sure we can show you how and save the trouble of Gnome.
Firewing1

urmom9388
28th April 2006, 12:18 AM
fedora frog

urmom9388
28th April 2006, 12:19 AM
i installed it and ran it but it closes

Firewing1
28th April 2006, 12:35 AM
No, I mean what in fedora frog do you need? I know the commands it uses so I'll save you the trouble of Gnome'ing it and I'll just give you the exact commands for installing [whatever].
Firewing1

urmom9388
28th April 2006, 12:38 AM
i just wanted to see what there was in it so i could install them if i didnt have them, i am having trouble with installing flash, and mplayer is having some problems with codecs

Firewing1
28th April 2006, 12:50 AM
Flash is buggy in Core 5, but it's solvable. See the Fedora Core Installation Notes (for Core 5) (http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html) for more info on installing Flash, as for mplayer codecs, remove your current installtion and do:

rpm -Uhv http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release5.rpm
yum install mplayer mplayer-gui mplayer-fonts
That should work well, if you'd like even more codecs see my Media in FC howto (signature link) for more instructions.
Firewing1