PDA

View Full Version : How to install AVG free?

27th April 2006, 06:57 PM
How to install AVG free for linux? Could anyone please walk me through the steps?

Thanks a lot.

ccrvic
27th April 2006, 07:15 PM
How to install AVG free for linux? Could anyone please walk me through the steps?

Download the RPM version.

rpm -Uvh <whateveryoucalledit.rpm>

...Although personally, I wouldn't bother.

Vic.

Finalzone
27th April 2006, 09:09 PM
Not that hard. Use a browser to visit this page (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5), choose the "rh" (redhat/fedora) version and the system-package-install will do the rest of the process.

ezzetabi
27th April 2006, 09:33 PM
If it misses some dipendences use yum.
yum -y localinstall avg-rh.rpm

*desk*
27th April 2006, 10:02 PM
Hi Vic
For what reason should we not bother?

pparks1
27th April 2006, 10:17 PM
Most Linux guys maintain that there is such a SMALL chance of even getting a virus on a Linux box, that's it's not worth the time or effort to install an antivirus scanning tool. That is what vic was getting at.

*desk*
27th April 2006, 10:26 PM
I have tried both the Pro and the free version and I'm getting this......

[des@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost des]# rpm -Uvh avgfree.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
error: %pre(avglinux-7.1-24_avi0721.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 12
error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping avglinux-7.1-24_avi0721
[root@localhost des]#

*desk*
27th April 2006, 10:31 PM
Most Linux guys maintain that there is such a SMALL chance of even getting a virus on a Linux box, that's it's not worth the time or effort to install an antivirus scanning tool. That is what vic was getting at.

I must say that is one of the reasons I decided to make the move to Linux.

ccrvic
28th April 2006, 12:17 AM
For what reason should we not bother?

Ask yourself:

- How much hussle will it be to install & maintain this software?
- What benefit will you derive from having it?

Now I run mail servers for many people with Windows clients - so there is some benefit, and that's why I installed ClamAV. But most people will only be running systems for themselves - and I debate the usefulness of a personal AV programme for Linux.

Vic.

*desk*
28th April 2006, 04:57 PM
Hi Vic
I take your point.
It's just that I used it for windows and found it quite good.....I just don't want to waste the cash I've paid for the Pro edition.
However I am struggling to install it anyway...I've got Grisoft trying to sort out the problem but to no avail.
Thank you for your interest and advice.
Des Kinsman

ezzetabi
28th April 2006, 07:55 PM
As programmer I won't exclude the presence of virus, the real advantage is people usually do not use root, but if it happens there is no linux that helps. A virus with root power is really dangerous.

Also do not forget the first virus was based on a buffer underflow weakness of Unix.

martyfelker
30th April 2006, 12:39 AM
I just installed the free version from the grisoft website. Although Linux certainly has a remote chance of getting a virus (perhaps in email if you don't use clamav in Kmail) - it still would be a Windows virus (maybe Windows itself is a virus!) I can use it to scan any mounted windows devices. Running as root allows your to "fegister" the free version, gives you a file count and will tell you files even root has no persmissions. You can also download the documentation pdf from the same page at grisoft.com. It has great instructions for using AVG Linux and other interesting pages. If was FAR easier to install than avast! for linux, which I had to uninstall because the GUI just messed up my system in a non-fatal way (easier to uninstall using rpm -e but still leaves many files around which you need to find and delete.

uptonm
30th April 2006, 10:45 AM
not to rain on your parade, but look how well AVG fares in the section marked "other OS'es". Ugh...

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

(edit: they won't let me post a direct link. You'll have to click on "comparatives" on the left, and then "On-Demand Comparatives" for Feb 2006.)

altho i have to admit, they probably were using a windows version to test... but still... :(

steve1961
30th April 2006, 12:33 PM
Just to throw my 10c into this debate, the free version of avast now works really well on FC5. When I used to use windows I always preferred this to AVG. Just download the rpm and right-click it to install. Open a terminal and type avastgui. You're then asked to enter the key that avast sends you by email. Once done there's an icon placed in accessories. See:

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-for-linux-edition.html