PDA

View Full Version : Operation not permitted error

Wh0M3
27th April 2006, 04:54 PM
I am using Fedora Core 4, and just installed a new drive. I formated the new drive with Windows to make it NTFS because I want to use this drive as a shared network drive for the windows computers on the network.

I was able to mount this drive.

/dev/sdb2 /mnt/windows ntfs defaults 0 0

However, I can't seem to be able to write anything to this folder.
When I try to add a folder or anything to /mnt/windows i get an error.
Error creating new folder.
Error "Operation not permitted" creating new folder.

I have set the permissions to the folder so I should beable to do this.
I'm starting to wonder if it has anything to do with it being NTFS. I also wonder if this is why I'm unable to write to it from being shared. I can access it and all, but can't write anything to it.

Help please.
-PD

unamanic
27th April 2006, 04:58 PM
NTFS drivers are currently too unstabable in linux to permit writing. Consider using FAT32 of more than one OS has to directly access it, or format it in EXT2/3 and use SAMBA to share it to the other windows boxes using the linux box as a server.

Wh0M3
27th April 2006, 05:56 PM
thanks, i'll try that

Wh0M3
27th April 2006, 06:24 PM
Ok, what does it mean when it says:

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 35 mounts or 180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

unamanic
27th April 2006, 10:05 PM
The system will automatically run fsck (file system check..similar to checkdisk/scandisk) ever 35 mounts (happes when you reboot or when you manually dismount and mount the drive) or 180 days (self explanitory). tune2fs alalows you to chang this timerame, but the default should be fine for you.

If you are going the SAMBA share route, be prepared to google alot, but it'll be woth it in the long run.