PDA

View Full Version : FC4 probs - are they still problems in FC5?

carl h
27th April 2006, 04:33 PM
My first go with Linux was with the 64-bit version of FC4, and I had all kinds of problems with it, mainly multimedia related. Most of them were fixed by installing the 32-bit version of FC4.

I'm now keen to upgrade to FC5 and I'd ideally like to use the 64-bit version, to make the most of my 64 bit CPU, but I'm a bit wary that I'll have the same problems all over again. I've read the release notes and scoured several forums but so far I've not managed to find any mention of the issues. These are the problems I had, could anyone tell me if they will still be a problem in 64-bit FC5?

1. Can't play WMV video files.
2. Can't install browser plug-ins (Flash, etc)
3. Can't connect to DV camcorder. Either crashes instantly or imports a few seconds of garbage then crashes. Tried Kino, dvgrab, and something else that I can't remember the name of.. :mad:
4. Installing some packages either using RPMs or Yum causes dependency problems - seemed to be installing 64 bit versions of some things then trying to use 32 bit libraries. (this does get a mention in the release notes, although I'm not sure if it answers my query or not)

If I take the plunge and go 64 bit FC5, will I get these problems again? I was a clueless newbie back then. I'm not really a newbie any more, but I'm still fairly clueless. :D

Seve
27th April 2006, 07:36 PM
Hello:
Dunno if I can address all your concerns, however, I will give it a shot.
Browser Plugins are still an issue as there is No Flash nor Java for the 64bit browser. You can get around this by removing and installing the 32 bit browser [there is a how-to posted]
I have not been able to play wmv files, others may have had better luck?
The multi-media aspect of the 64 bit is certainly not at the same standard as the 32bit.
I have no experience with connecting a camcorder, so I cannot comment on that.
Yum with the standard repos has worked fine for me, although I recall a couple of dependency issues .... can't recall the details sorry.
All 64bit OS's for the PC are suffering from the same short-comings as far as I can see. Applications etc. are not at the same level and support as the 32bit.
I have run both FC4 and 5 in 32 and 64 bit and although the 64 bit is somewhat snappier, the available apps etc. make the 32 bit still the way to go for your day to day OS ,IMO.
hth
Seve

Maners
1st May 2006, 07:56 PM
You can get WMV playback when yuou install 32bit MPlayer and w32codes. You can get the mplayer either from livna or freshrpms repository and w32codecs that I use are from here: http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/
Additionally you can install a mplayer browser plugin so you can play most of Quicktime WMV and Real media from the web: http://fedoranews.org/tchung/mplayerplug-in/3.25/

note that all the software I mention here must be i386, but it should nicely coexist with the rest of the system

Sicily1918
2nd May 2006, 02:10 AM
You can get 32-bit Flash and Java going, and they really shouldn't hamper you very much.

For Flash, download the latest 32-bit installer and extract the files manually (as it won't allow you to install the 32-bit version onto a 64-bit OS for some reason); then copy

flashplayer.xpt
and
libflashplayer.so

to your firefox/plugins directory and you're all set.

carl h
3rd May 2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. I think I'll give it a go this weekend.